Advice on night lights please!

fabian's ma

Hi there,

My son is nearly three but has recently requested that I leave the light on when he goes to sleep. His bedside lamp is quite bright so I was wondering whether some kind of night light might be the way forward. However, it does need to give off a significant amount of light to be effective and the ones I've seen so far seem marketed at babies and only give off a very soft glow.

Does anyone have any ideas or a particular product to recommend?

Many thanks in advance.

I have this one and think it's brilliant.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babytec-5050-Autofade-Bedside-Lamp/dp/B000NCAFYQ

When my 3 year old switched out of a cot, we were having issues with him staying in his room at bedtime and this solved all our problems, as he can make it brighter if he wants to read, or keep it turned down if he just wants to go straight to sleep.

It also has a fade-out option, where it gradually turns itself down and down and then off over the course of 15 mins.

At the moment, I leave my son to set the light level he wants at bedtime, and just pop in once he's asleep and turn it right down - still enough light for him if he were to wake up in the night, but not enough so it will disturb his sleep.

The buttons are touch-sensitive - that sounds stupid, but I mean that they don't need pushing in or out, or make any noise - just a light touch and hold to make the light level go up or down and the top button for the auto-fade thing.

A friend gave me mine minus instructions and I assumed it was just a standard night light - took me ages to figure out all of the above, but wouldn't be without it now - it really suits us down to the ground.

Wow, who knew I could get so excited over a (not-massively-attractive) light fitting!?

Hope this helps!

could you leave landing/hall light on and door open? That's what we started to do when DD asked for it to be lighter. There's also a stereo in her room and we leave it on all night and the glow of the numbers is enough for it not to be pitch dark, once we've gone to bed and switched off the hall light.