I think the world has gone mad

Flatforsale

Out of curiosity my husband has looked up the price for a 7 night stay in a 2-bed basic Centrepark, for October 2014, that is, next year, and guess how much it is apparently....?2,000!!! We knew it would be expensive and that these things need to be booked up early but we thought for a laugh we'd see how far in advance the system lets you book and if we could get a good deal if so, but we are reeling at these prices I'd placed a bet on the 1K mark but I've really come short! ReallY people pay this much??? I guess they do! what do families do for family breaks these days?? (ours is still at nursery so I guess we can afford to go the week after half term at exactly half price but still, jeez!).

I was shocked at the CenterParks prices too! Instead we're going to the Landal GreenParks chain in the Netherlands this half term. Also went at Easter. Seemed brilliant value to me! Even with the Eurostar to Brussels (this half term think it was 100 gbp return for the whole family...we booked 90 days in advance as soon as seats were released) and then train or car rental it is still way cheaper. Think it was 380 euros or something for Mon-Fri in October half term? Last time we went to Het Vennenbos and the indoor waterpark was amazing. This time going to Hoog Vaals which is easy by train so no car required.

Its mental. I looked for this half term Monday - Friday and it was well over a grand. Really?!

We are trying out a youth hostel for the first time as a family. Private room, fabulous location in Devon, travel cot provided. Either cooked food by them (locally sourced, beer and wine etc, cracking breakfasts) or we can self cater. ?50 a night for five of us, even at half term. I shall report back!

Centerparcs get away with it by the trick of stays being for 3 or 4 nights - people don't factor up what they are actually paying for a week, in comparison with a week or two week summer holiday, for example.

Centerparcs used to be good value but is now ludicrously expensive. For what is essentially a Travelodge standard room in a posh holiday park. But it serves a purpose when the kids are at a certain age and can have independence on bikes and enjoy the pool all the time.

That is loads for CP. We've done full weeks a few years running in either Easter Hols, the June half-term or summer hols in nice 2 bed lodges right near the pool at Longleat CP and have never paid more than ?1500 for 5 of us. Last time we went was Easter last year and they must have really racked up their prices since then.

If you don't have school age children then holiday out of term time while you can. We seem to be the only people amongst our friendship group that don't have relatives who live in lovely far flung destinations we could bed down with relatively cheaply. Hols are expensive.

I do admit that there was fluctuation in prices between resorts and some were cheaper than others (I can't remember where the nearly 2k one was I think it is the one nearest to London), but by the time to factor in petrol, food, activities and all the extras it made our eyes water.

Prices at Centerparcs have definitely gone up, and school holidays are usually twice the price of other times. I remember going a couple of times and paying ?700 - 800 for a four bed unit for a long weekend outside holidays. Split between two families that compares pretty well to lots of family friendly hotels etc., and they are fantastic places for kids.

Edited to add:

there's probably no early booking discount for achool holiday times either - if you check for this October half term i.e. in four weeks time it's c.?1900 for a week, down to ?950 the following week. ?950 is still a fair amount but for 7 nights for a family of four is not OTT.