article campaigning re: 'Bounty' sales reps in maternity wards

fl0wer

does this happen at Kings (where I guess a lot of forumite babies were born)? Because until I read about it on Mumsnet I didn't know anything about this, I got the Bounty pack from the midwife pre-birth (and chucked most of it in the bin), but never saw anyone on the ward and I was in there for 5 days (though admittedly not out in the main ward for most of that time).

Link isn't working for me but from what I've read on MN it sounds awful.

Ive signed it and I urge everyone to.

After the birth of my 3rd daughter the Bounty lady did the rounds of my ward chatting to the other 3 mums about how heavy their big babies were and what a hard time theyd had in delivery. I was dreading her coming to me, Id kept my curtains tightly closed as my baby wasnt with me, she was in ICU fighting for her life, 3 months premature and only 1.5lbs. "Wheres baby?" "upstairs" I mananaged just that word.

Id had babies before, so I knew what was in the Bounty Pack, nappies and wipes that were the same length as my tiny little girl, insincere congratulations from baby care providing companies, and a Child allowance form that, sadly, I was never going to need.

All those days were difficult, but that day would have been a little bit easier without Bounty Pack

I've now managed to read the article and have signed. Absolutely dreadful - complete strangers taking photos of women recovering from childbirth??? Under the aegis of getting child benefit forms out there? And the government pay them for this? The whole thing beggars belief.