Advise on Childminder costs

SuzieK

Hi all,

I am currently pregnant and going on maternity leave early next year.

I have a 14 month old baby girl currently in nursery but going back to work after a 2nd child and paying double the nursery fees just isn't feasible.

I was wondering what an average childminder costs for 2 children under 3, 2 days a week for 10.5 hours a day.

Basically I get a good maternity package from my work but only if I go back to work, if I don't end up going back I have to pay it all back. They need to know in the next few weeks if I want enhanced maternity or not and frankly I haven't got a clue if I can afford to go back?!?!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Suzie

I don't think childminders do sibling discounts usually but I could be wrong? I would guess that it would be 2x the normal rate of, say, ?50-?65/day? Hence why we ended up with a nanny, which costs about the same as a childminder for two children but is much more flexible as no drop offs, etc.

I was shocked when I looked into the costs of childcare for two!

Maybe someone else has better news??

The other thing is to consider whether you can afford to go back to work "at a loss" for a bit in order to keep your job and career progression. This is what I did. But I know financially that isn't an option for everybody. Your eldest will be eligible for 15 hours free (or discounted if private nursery) from age 3 and then will be in school soon after.

I was also very conscious of not just offsetting my salary against childcare costs as though my job was dispensable, but to combine my husband and my salaries and then deduct childcare costs from that pot. But if you're on your own or there isn't enough in the joint pot to cover childcare costs plus other expenses then I can see you might not have a choice.

I completely agree with Alieh - very good points!

I went back to work in July and we decided to hire a nanny. To have sole charge of her (looking after our two kids) was around ?1300 - but to send two children to the nursery where my daughter had been going was going to cost nearly ?1700!!!

I would suggest you try and find a nanny with their own child - that is considered a share so slightly cheaper but also there no hassle of finding another family that meets all the same needs as yours.

My advice would be - find one who is Ofsted registered already and agree on a gross rate rather than net that will make budgeting much easier.

Good luck!

I have to return for 12 months!!!

I think I may just take the enhanced pay and put any amount above statutory into a pot to cover the possibility if me not going back.

I work Mondays and Fridays which makes it even more difficult as those are the most popular days for people to have off so trying to find a nanny share would be difficult.

I too want to go back to 'keep my finger in the pie' as it were. In all honesty it's only for 6 months then my biggest is eligible for the 15 hours a week free which would then make nursery affordable.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

SuzieK Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Yes, if your shortfall on childcare for 6 months in total is less than your total enhanced payment, then going with the enhanced payment option should definitely work out financially.

I agree a nanny-share or nanny with own-child should work out cheapest.

Good luck.

>

> I think I may just take the enhanced pay and put

> any amount above statutory into a pot to cover the

> possibility if me not going back.

Hi you may find a childminder who would give discounts for siblings. I'm a childminder and I do for the 2 siblings that I care for.

I qualified this year and you do get to charge what you like but I've stuck to what they told us on the course which they recommend either around ?5-6 per hour then charge for your holidays or ?6-7 per hour and do t charge for time you take off on holiday.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions send me a pm. Leanne