confused by the education system

berbel

I am seriously confused by the education system and I am very concerned and distressed by it.

I am a single mum with a 2 year old, at the moment I am working part time while my daugther goes to nursery for 3 days per week.

What I earn just about covers the nursery fees, so I rely on working tax credit and child benefit to get to the end of the month. We live in a one bedroom flat, I am paying a mortgage on it so we cannot get any help with the rent.

My problem is what to do to get her into a good primary school. First of all I don't really understand the difference between schools( state, accademies, free school etc),perhaps I should mention I grew up in Italy. She is not baptised so any faith school would be out of the question. The competition in east dulwich for schools is fierce and I am terrified she is not going to stand a chance to get into a good local school.

I have been advised to send her to the school nursery, but they would only keep her for 3 hours per day, which is impossible if I am working. I do not have any family in this country so the picking up and dropping off is all down to me, if she is sent to a school too far away I will have trouble at getting her there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do, or if there is someone I could contact to help me in this situation?

Thank you in advanced for any advice.

What is your closest school and how far away are you from it? Sending your child to the school's nursery does not influence whether you get a place at reception so please don't worry.

All the ED schools are pretty good anyway (says mum who was stressing madly about this on this very forum earlier on this year!).

A lot of schools have breakfast clubs and after school clubs, I should think. Otherwise there are plenty of childminders and they'll probably cost you less than nursery.

Hope this helps a bit.

HI Monkey,

thank you it does helps, especially knowimg that I am not the only one stressing. I might be panicking way in advanced since she is just turned 2, but I keep on hearing horror stories of kids without a place or sent to school miles away

NOt sure which primary is actually the closest,probably St Clement and Heber,I live near the end of Barry road, the Peckham Rye side.

Thank you again

Hi

I feel for you, its terribly confusing and stressful. I was in your position a few years ago, and lived where you do.

Firstly - try not to panic, its not worth years of stress for something you can't influence much.

Secondly - almost all of the schools round here are good, which is great news.

Thirdly - going to a school nursery makes no difference to whether you get offered a place at the school or not. Stick with the nursery arrangements that suit you and your daughter rather than changing. Lots of children go to school without having been to the school nursery, and some school don't have nurseries at all.

Fourthly - dont worry about the baptism - church schools have a percentage of non faith places anyway.

I would go and see as many local schools as you can. Put down your nearest six (be realistic and don't put ones down that are miles away). See what happens and work from there.

Its imposisble to know what the situation might be in two years time. Schools might have bulge classes (e.g. if Ivydale expands from 2 forms to 4 that might be an option and is only the other side of the park) or a new school could be built. Even if its not in your area, it will take pressure off local places.

FWIW I got offered Goose Green, although ended up at Horniman after a bulge class. I would also have been in the catchment area for Goodrich, St Johns and St Clements and Bessemer (but not Heber). Any of which I would have been happy with.

Try and relax about it xxx

Hiya,

I can empathize a little with the school stress - my LO is only 2.5 but I am stressing out, too - especially as I grew up in a different country and I find the set up here very different...

The advice above sound really good and I know there are new schools planned, so the landscape might be very different in two years time.

Just wanted to send some sympathy, too

best of luck

mxx

A quick question (from another foreigner) at what age should you choose the six preferred schools and how do you go about it? Is there a form to fill in? Where do you get it from and who do you give it to?

I'm not quite stressing yet (my little one is not even 2), but I certainly find the whole process very confusing.

One of the reason why we moved in this area though was the knowledge that pretty much all the schools are good (at least primary....honestly, I refuse to think about secondary schools just yet, he's not even talking!!!!)

as far as I'm aware, you can't register your child for a state school until the applications process begins - which is usually the year before they would start reception. they start reception in the school year they turn 5. so still few years to wait.

I know school is a stressful subject, but i also agree that pretty much all the schools round here are good.

you apply for a place via a form that Soputhwark provide or online. If your child is in a nursery they should have copies or you can get it from Southwark direct.

the deadline is usually the January before your child is due to start. so, if you child was born between 1 September 2009 and 31 August 2010 the form needs to be submitted approximately before January 2014 NB you need to check the date, I don't know exactly when it is but know that my daughter's form needs to be filled in now and submitted around Christmas time.

They won't accept forms earlier than the fixed period, ther are no waiting lists etc for state schools.

Children start Reception class in the September before they turn 5. So my child born April 2010 will start school in September 2014, as will all other children born between 1/9/2009 and 31/8/2010.

hope that helps

That's right. The application process opens in September the year before your child would start (which is the school year in which they turn 5, yes). The last date for applications is mid-January. It is an online form administered by Southwark/Lewisham or whichever borough you live in. You can put any 6 schools in any London borough but in reality are only likely to get your closest school unless there are extenuating circumstances (siblings already in school, medical or other special needs, etc.). The problem comes only when you are not close enough to your closest schools, if that makes sense - i.e. if you end up in a black hole where you're not close enough to any of the local walkable schools. It is impossible to predict where these black holes might be this far in advance, unfortunately.

In the meantime, you can each year check the Starting School in Southwark (or Lewisham or whereever) book published by the council to check the distances for each of the schools near you to assess whether you would have had a problem that year. And just keep up to date with any announcements of new schools opening up, which is always discussed on here.

Try not to worry as it is a long way off and things will have changed hugely by then!

You apply for schools between the September and January before your child would start school, so people can apply now for reception to start Sept 14. The application is done on-line and is very quick and easy and you can change your preferences right up to the close of applications. The Southwark website is quite useful to give you an idea of which schools you might get in to. Also for Teception this year Southwark announced before the close of applications which schools would be bulging or permanently expanding which I found really helpful.

You can also get advice from your borough about which schools to apply to based on where you live. They advertise clinics where you can talk through your options if you don't get any of your 6 preferences AFTER to applications are over and done with, but what I didn't realise is that you can also get the same advice BEFORE making your application.

Almost all schools do breakfast club and after school club for working parents, but the cost can vary hugely between schools. Many childminders also do drop-off and pick-up, so that can also cover the out of school hours childcare for you.

"So if my baby turns 2 in January 2014 I'll be looking to register him between September 2016 and January 2017? When is he supposed to be starting at reception?"

The start date is the September before your child's 5th birthday, so:

Turning 2 in Jan 2014 = turn 5 in Jan 2017

Turn 5 in Jan 2017 = start school in Sept 2016

The application period is from Sep - Jan the year before, so for Sep 2016 start, from Sep 2015 - Jan 2016

Berbel- might be worth making sure you're getting all the help you can, if you're on working tax credits you might be eligible for some free hours towards childcare (available to all sch term after they turn 3yrs).

It can be used for private nurseries but as their open more weeks than schools works out to be nearer 10 than 15hrs a week.

See here for info:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200016/childcare/710/early_education/1

I would like to thank everyone, I feel so much better,I will look into which schools are near me and visit some but I think I will keep my daughter at her current nursery without stressing too much.

I am really greatfull to all of you that have taken the time to write and help.

My baby will turn 5 in september 2016 so if i got it right i will have to wait september 2015 to jannuary 2016 for enrolment. I will try to find about this clinic and any help I might be eligible for.

Thank you again.

If you look at the turn2u website you can find out what benefits you are entitled to to help you - I think single parents get something like 70% of childcare costs paid so that makes it a lot more practical to work.

susypx

Berbel don't panic, lots of questions will be being answered every year on the forum each time applications come around. You're never alone.

Also please do check online thoroughly your income on a benefit calculator, I don't think your getting all the help your entitled to. The calculators are very accurate and a massive help. I also think you are entitled to a council tax reduction as a single parent, although you are not entitled to mortgage payments as you are aware. You will need to check council tax with Southwark.