Alleyn's School Question?

Do feel a bit 'if you have to ask, you can't affrid it'... But in a bit of idle school searching, am looking at Alleyn's 11+ admissions. They have two academin scholarships:

1. Saddlers? Academic Scholarships are normally awarded to the six highestachieving Year 7 pupils on entry, based on their performance in the 11+ entrance

examination (written papers and scholarship interviews). Each award is worth up

to ?3000 per year. They are partly funded by the Worshipful Company of

Saddlers who, in addition to funding bursary places, wish to support academically

able candidates who will contribute markedly to the academic life of the School.

2.Academic Scholarships are awarded according to academic merit, and are worth

up to ?3000 per year.

Is it just me, or do they sound the same?

I have left it too late to be tiger mother for the first two I think. Might have a small chance at the exam, but in the interview would answer in monosyllables unless about Dr Who or Young James Bond.

I think the main difference is kudos. The Saddlers scholar is the pupil who ?scored? highest during the 11+? My brother was the Saddler?s scholar for his year (I think there is only one per year but maybe mistaken). The only thing I witnessed from memory was a lot of expectation and pressure to achieve at that high level throughout the 7 years. It may not be that way now (this was the 90s) but I would imagine it is as Alleyn?s is now a better school than it was then and probably even harder to get in to...!

Saddlers' scholarships have slightly more kudos than foundation scholarships which have slightly more kudos than 'ordinary' scholarships. Several of each type are awarded and there are also sports, art and music scholarships. Everyone sits the entrance exam (even pupils already at the school) and everyone is eligible for a scholarship if they pass the criteria. Bursaries, on the other hand, are means-tested and can be up to 100% of the fees (including things like trips, instruments etc). You can apply for a bursary if you get a place based on your performance in the entrance exams and they are offered based on family need, ie means-tested. There's a similar system at 13+

I should say I don't work for Alleyn's, I just know how this works.

Well I would rather have it than not have it that's for sure!!

Occasionally parents go to several sources to seek assistance with school fees, such as charities ( for various reasons). If 4 of them give ?3K scholarships each them that would be a tremendous help. Also I think it is every year - so ?3k x 7 years= ?21k