Community midwives at risk...

I have heard a rumour that Kings may withdraw the funding for community midwife case loading... Has anyone else heard this?

I had both my babies with the lanes midwife practice and cannot imagine other expectant mothers not having the opportunity to access that level of care... Most of my friends and family who live elsewhere cannot believe I

- had all my appointments at home

- knew my midwife - in fact Erica was present at both my births in some capacity

- had an unbelievable level of support before, during and importantly after the birth of my children. Both times I had feeding issues and I wasn't discharged until they were confident both me Andy child were on track.

Because of the service I was lucky enough to have I went intoy

Labour happy, confident and secure in my ability to 'do it!'. They also supported my choices.

Kings should be setting the tone for other hospitals ands king this time of servi e available to

More new and growing families not withdrawing it...

I've heard just as many positive things about oakwood and the brierley too from friends.

Has anyone else heard this? I am thinking of writing to the head of midwifery as someone who has benefited from a community lead service to try and stop funding being cut...

I also heard this at the lanes 'meet the midwife' session last week. It is not definite but they are concerned that funding may be pulled in the future and did say if we were happy with the midwife case loading care we had received it would be really helpful to write to the head of midwifery at Kings directly or through PALS which I plan on doing.

Dear Forum members,

My name is Maxine Spencer and I am the Director of Midwifery at Kings College Hopsital. I have been made aware of this discussion and felt it important that I reply directly as I want to provide reassurance and stop any rumours developing further.

I am very aware of how amazing the model of care is that women experience from the Lanes midwives and it fills me with great pride to know how valued our maternity care is to you all. As Director of Midwifery I have no plans to change this model of care so I am very surprised to hear about your concerns and the rumours. I can confirm there is no basis for these rumours and I am at a loss to understand how such a rumour was generated.

Please feel free to contact me directly and I am more than happy to engage in any discussion that relates to our maternity service and experiences of our local families.

Kind regards

Maxine

Just wanted to add my thanks for the reassurance - i am currently a few weeks from having my second brierly baby and could not be more impressed with the service (especially ray who is the most amazing midwife). I am constantly thanking my lucky stars to be having my babies in this part of london / the world. We are so lucky.

Glad to hear that the service is being kept, I only wish it were available to more people. It seems that you have to either live in a very specific area (Lanes) and /or want and be able to have a home birth (Brierly) to access this model of care.

This sadly rules out a great many women who would really benefit from it.

I am with the Oakwood midwives who are a caseload midwifery group and my midwife told me the other day that they are willing to take women who are not from their GP surgery (forest hill group practice). She said you can refer yourself by calling them and if they have a space they will take you and if not, they will put you on a waiting list and then call you if someone moves away. I see the same 3 midwives for all apointments at home and they will be there for my birth as well. I've found the care fantastic so far, so give them a call!