Biting when bfing - how do I stop it?

No 1 never did this, despite feeding for a year. No 2 has had teeth for a while now, and has suddenly started biting me...and then laughing her head off.

I'm No where near ready to stop (although after the bite this morning I am a little more tempted!) and she doesn't take a bottle (does any baby?).

Currently I am just saying no loudly when she does it, and trying not to swear or drop her.

Will this pass? Any advice needed - quick!! :0)

I think it's teething related. My son thankfully only did this a few times but he used to sink his teeth into my shoulders - ouch!! The best thing to do is watch like a hawk and have a finger ready to latch her off before the biting happens. If I recall from my experience it happened more when my baby wasn't especially hungry and therefore more prone to messing about. Ignoring as much as possible/ trying not to react also helps as baby will love getting a reaction from you. Hope the phase passes super soon!

Thanks all. She's nearly 7 months. Nipple shield wouldn't work, she's a skin lady, she laughs in the face of silicon! :0)

I think trying not to react is the best thing too - I will try - it's blooming difficult! She really does p*** herself when I do react (gggggrrrrrr!!!!) little minx.

It also does tend to be the "weaker boob" that she bites - maybe she's saying "oi mum - give me the other - this one sucks!"

I must write this down to tell her when she's older and I need something from her!

I got this with my first, but not second (or third yet). As others have said, latch off immediately, say no! sharply and don't feed again until the you would normally start the next time, even if that means needing to express to stay comfortable.

As for the laughing, try putting your baby down as quickly as safely possible and truning your back. The bonus is that you can then wince/swear/cry too, without being noticed.

From memory, it didn't last long. Only 3-4 times after I implemented the above and never again.

On the other hand, my Mum tells me that she stopped breast feeding me at all the second time that I bit her, even though I didn't take a bottle. I have no recollection of this at all, and I clearly don't hold it against her!

I suffered really badly with my daughter, she was a very vicious biter. I continued for 2 years, with a near full set of teeth, she understood after a while.

Agree with canela, as a trained breastfeeding counsellor myself this is the method I practiced with my own daughter and advised mothers to use to deter either biting or laziness at the breast. Your little finger slipped in at the corner of the babies mouth will cause the least impact on the breast and break the seal formed by your baby. Don't be tempted to just pull.

Good luck. x