Heber Primary Ofsted

Previous inspection was 2008 which would have been under different leadership if so, was it not inspected since then? Also the nursery was inspected only couple years ago and has made improvements following appointment of Mrs Cook as foundation co-ordinator I think. I think they are planning discussions at the next Q&A session.

I agree, pretty blatant politicking. In particular, much criticism of senior management and Govenors plays right into the hands of Gove's academy policies. I'm no apologist and can see room for improvement in the school but I've only seen positive steps taken since the school's last inspection including new appointments in the senior management team.

saturdaysmiler Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can't believe it!! It's such a brilliant school.

> The teachers I've encountered are great. Heard

> there is a big political agenda going on in

> Education at the moment...

Under the new inspection regime, it is very, very easy to get this grade. A friend is chair of governors at a primary that has been forced into being an academy after 'failing' its Ofsted on one single progression issue. If even one incidence of that occurs, in any single group, even one small enough that it's effectively one child failing to progress, then the entire school receives this grade.

This Ofsted rating is patently nonsense. Any parent wanting to send their child to Heber should ignore the Ofsted report and just ask a parent of a child currently at the school. Vast majority of parents will tell you (a) this is a really good, happy school (like many others in East Dulwich) and (b) it has got better, not worse, in the last five years, both in the quality of teachers and the physical environment.

...And can I just add, this Ofsted is a real kick in the teeth for some lovely, hard-working teachers. They don't deserve this and need all the moral support they can get. Even if your child's school isn't Heber, remember it could be your school next (unless it's lucky enough to be out of the reach of Ofsted of course).

I'm really disappointed for the senior management team and the teachers - of which many are excellent. the detail in the remanyport contradicts itself in so many ways on the one hand it talks about how the leadership has eradicated inadequate teaching but then they down grade them from good (presumably when there we're instances of inadequate teaching) to requiring improvement when there is now no inadequate teaching. the report just doesn't stand up...

Improved a lot in the years my children have been there. Agree report is contradictory. Glad the governers are appealing it. Such a shame for the teachers who have been making positive changes. Don't really recognise what OFSTeD say.

Agree Albert... Of all the schools serving ED its the only one with a value add score below 100. 100 means kids are making the progress you'd expect based on their starting point. Less than 100 means on average the student body isn't making expected progress which should worry people. Given Goodrich, Bessemer, Hamlet, Goosegreen are all making better than expected progress based on national results, saying Heber needs to improve the quality of the education it provides is patnently true!

nursery was rated outstanding, foundation stage overall good.

all schools, even the very best have room for improvement and I can certainly identify areas which I would personally like to see improve, but the report simply does not make coherent justifications for the rating.

As we all know stats can be read in many ways, some of my friends have children who go to other local Dulwich and west Dulwich schools... We have compared our children's end of year books and Heber was rated rated the best in terms of quality and level of marking. Other friends who are teachers also agreed that my daughters books had such amazing work in, both maths and English... And believe me, dare I say it, she is an 'average' child. I believe there are some dark forces at work and it's not at the school.... A big building overlooking the Thames!

I find that absolutely hard to believe about the nursery more so as I worked in childcare. I have moved my child to another nursery and he is a lot happier .

On a side note you just have to go with what you like, visit them and see what you think as I didn't visit any nurseries so I just went for Heber but really didn't like it whereas I found GG and GR much better in teaching etc .

I do agree that you go with what you feel to be right, just wish would not sabotage these choices by unfair reports. If there no ofsteds and only intervention at a local level there would be a lot more happier people about... And this would put a stop to crazy house prices in particular roads around certain schools!!!!

Don't forget the ' requires improvement' grade has replaced the previous 'satisfactory' grade.

I agree with motorbird83, the value added is a key assessment; I'm sure the school has a lot of very committed parents. The demographic for that school is pretty good when you consider it's possibly the most central school to East Dulwich.

LOL Loves ED Deli - yeah that's really what is important after all - having a 'good demographic'. How dare ofsted come in and comment on teaching & leadership when the school has such a good demographic? Really now. There are children at that school that know the difference between hummus and taramasalata.

The new Wilshaw OFSTED is seeing many more schools drop a level as there are different parameters and it is more difficult to achieve good or outstanding

I think there is room for improvement but I am happy for my child to stay there

Far prefer a school that is working hard to improve than one resting on its laurels