Map of school furthest distance offers 2013 - inc. faith schools & academies

I created this interactive map that shows the catchment areas for all community primary schools in the East Dulwich/Peckham Rye area, based on the furthest distance from the school that offers were made for 2013 admissions. Many of the catchments overlap, so use the dropdown box underneath to select a specific school. And click on the school for info, including latest Ofsted.

UPDATE: I've now added faith schools, and also Dulwich Hamlet and Goose Green (academies), Turnham (foundation) and Haberdashers (free school & academy). And Lambeth have now published their 2013 data so have updated Rosendale and Jessop. Clearly faith schools have different admissions criteria to the others, so I'm not showing admissions distance for them, as it's an unfair comparison.

If there are any schools still missing, please let me know.

http://datacollator.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/primary-schools-around-east-dulwich.html

Fantastic work, Trefford. I've thoroughly enjoyed poring over it even though my children have been safely settled in primary for years now. And you have also prompted me to go and have a look at the distances for the secondary I've got my eye on*, so many thanks all round. .

*it's looking good, so even if it's popularity increases enormously in the next two years we should be safe. Phew.

Interesting and thank you but I am even more confused now!

According to the tool on this thread: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,1175341, we are 267m from Goodrich and 190m from Heber, as the crow flies. This was the stated method used (as opposed to safest walking route) to calculate the distance in the starting school booklet for 2014/15 and we are within the furthest distance offered for both schools. However, according to the interactive map on this thread we are out of the catchment for both schools. Obviously, there are likely to be errors in the map when calculating distance but unlikely to be by almost 100m.

So, what else is considered when deciding who to offer to (other than siblings) which would mean that even at 190m we are outside the catchment?

srisky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Interesting and thank you but I am even more

> confused now!

>

> According to the tool on this thread:

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?2

> 9,1175341, we are 267m from Goodrich and 190m from

> Heber, as the crow flies. This was the stated

> method used (as opposed to safest walking route)

> to calculate the distance in the starting school

> booklet for 2014/15 and we are within the furthest

> distance offered for both schools. However,

> according to the interactive map on this thread we

> are out of the catchment for both schools.

> Obviously, there are likely to be errors in the

> map when calculating distance but unlikely to be

> by almost 100m.

>

> So, what else is considered when deciding who to

> offer to (other than siblings) which would mean

> that even at 190m we are outside the catchment?

Each school has an official Department of Education Ordnance Survey Grid reference.

Each school building has an Ordnance Survey object centroid Ordnance Survey Grid reference.

A school can chose which school gate to measure the catchment radius. This Ordnance Survey Grid reference will be neither of the previous two.

The deviation can be 100m.

John K

edhistory Wrote:

>

> Each school has an official Department of

> Education Ordnance Survey Grid reference.

>

> Each school building has an Ordnance Survey object

> centroid Ordnance Survey Grid reference.

>

> A school can chose which school gate to measure

> the catchment radius. This Ordnance Survey Grid

> reference will be neither of the previous two.

>

> The deviation can be 100m.

>

> John K

John K - when I queried our home-to-school measurement with Southwark, we were given the eastings/northings for the school and for our home that they use. My understanding is that they're taken from the NLPG (National land and property gazetteer) and are the visual centre of each address. Could you explain where the school gate issue comes in? Is this for non-community schools? Many thanks

> John K - when I queried our home-to-school measurement with Southwark, we were given the eastings/northings for the school and for our home that they use. My understanding is that they're taken from the NLPG (National land and property gazetteer) and are the visual centre of each address. Could you explain where the school gate issue comes in? Is this for non-community schools? Many thanks

I've not used the NLPG reference for schools.

I'd like to know the geometry of "the visual centre of each address". Perhaps your Southwark contact could explain? Or perhaps not.

A school gate example would be Goose Green School which could use the Grove Vale or Tintagel entrances for measurements.

John K

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I've not used the NLPG reference for schools.

>

> I'd like to know the geometry of "the visual

> centre of each address". Perhaps your Southwark

> contact could explain? Or perhaps not.

>

> A school gate example would be Goose Green School

> which could use the Grove Vale or Tintagel

> entrances for measurements.

>

> John K

It literally means that they estimate the centre of the school by eye and that is then the coordinate (easting/northing) that they input into their mysterious measuring system to calculate how far away you live (using your property's NLPG reference).

This is how Southwark explained it to me. I just don't understand where the school gate comes into it as I've previously heard that this is used.