Flying to NZ alone with an almost 2 year old - HELP!

Missjojo

So I've bravely (or foolishly) decided to fly back to NZ early next year with my little boy, who will be 2 in April. It'll just be the 2 of us

I've done the flight before, when he was 9 months, which was surprisingly okay. But it's a different story now he's loud, busy and has a lot of energy to burn.

I'd appreciate any tips - eg I'm thinking to leave on a night flight, rather than a day flight - flying direct, without an overnight stop over - any views? Any recommendations on airlines to consider or avoid? Any advice on when to fly in Feb or March?

Thx

Thx

We flew Singapore Air to Australia/NZ last year with an almost 2 year old (although I did have my partner to help!) We stopped off in Singapore on the way there and back but I think with a stop in the airport for a few hours it would be ok straight through. Singapore airport is amazingly baby friendly. There are stroller/baggage trolley things you can use, a swimming pool on a rooftop to burn off some energy (wear him out before the next stage!), a butterfly garden and a play area. It's very quick and easy to get between terminals too.

The airline was excellent too. Their bassinets seem to have a slightly higher weight limit than some others so all though he was a bit long for it he did manage to sleep there for quite a few hours. We did the night flight thing too and it seemed to work in that he did sleep some of the time so only had to entertain him for less then half of most flights, and he loved the food so that took up some time too. We could also play a bit on the floor in front of the seats. The staff were all really helpful and friendly, and they did seem to give extra attention to people on their own with kids. We got whole rows of bulkhead seats to ourselves for most of the flights (only one we didn't). All the people with kids get seated together so you don't feel like you are disturbing others (although other babies crying did wake my son up a few times!).

Overall, it went as well as we could have hoped and I will definitely try and fly again with Singapore airlines as I was really impressed about the service with kids, and I think having a nice airport in Singapore makes a big difference.

We (7 years of making that journey, once or twice a year, now with 3 kids) always choose the night flight from Heathrow on SAL, with a 5ish hour stopover in Singapore airport where you run them ragged. We then find they sleep pretty well on the 2nd leg too.

P x

Take twice as much clothes and nappies as you think you'd need for your child.

There is very little space in the toilet for nappy change so have a small supermarket bag where you can decant stuff for 1 change.

Sudocreme! Not sure why but altitude and strange food can cause a really sore bum without it.

Don't take really small toys as you will be looking for them under each seat and might not find them so a wailing infant is guaranteed.

Take a big soft cotton scarf as a stain cover and in flight blanket.

Small packets of baby food are great for their novelty factor.

I had very little sleep (literally 4 hours in total) as it was impossible to sleep with nearly 2 year old on me.

I'd agree with pickle - 2 long flights with a good length stopover in between where you can burn off the energy. Take some good headphones with you so they can watch some of the kids TV on offer if they need distracting (the airline earphones are generally useless for kids)