greek lessons or playgroup

joe80

• 1 year later...

Well this is great. We could start some sort of regular meet up, and hopefully it will build up into something over time. I know one more family that might be interested. I think it is important for our little ones to know there are more like them around.

I will look into venues, any preference in location? How old are you children? Mine is 16 months, maybe young but will get older ;-)

(Apologies if I seem like I am pushing a bit. I just don't want to lose momentum)

I have two, 3.5 years and 9 months. Maybe we could structure it a bit more than last time. E.g., I have some Greek story books, various ages, maybe we should at least read a story to the kids, ask them questions about it in Greek. In my experience it's not enough just for them to hear us talk...

I agree, it would be nice if we could organise some greek playtime etc. We can bring along books and toys.

I will look into venues and costs. We could meet for a coffee to discuss details.

I also thought that maybe whilst it is only a small number of us, and to get things going we could take turns in our homes. I am of course more than happy to host the first few as long as you don't mind coming to SW2 (free street parking). It could be on a weekend and partners welcome.

Agreed, the kids need to play/toddle.

I only speak Greek to my mother who we see a couple of times a week as she lives nearby. She only speaks Greek to my children (unlike me!), but I think my three year old mostly zones out now when I speak Greek to another adult. But when her cousins were here and speaking Greek, then she actually learnt some new words and seemed to have fun with it. So getting the kids to playful speak/learn Greek would be my motivation for attending a group. Otherwise it's like a Greek NCT...?

Peggoula I would bring along, my 16 month old won't sit down either. We can organise games too, I am sure whatever happens they will have fun.

I have put together a doodle poll to find a date(s) in the next three months. I think it would be nice to get it started and we can iron out the details. The link is below, i hope the board lets me put it up.

http://doodle.com/vb5qt72az5u4pds6

Apologies I have been away. I am back on Tuesday. Shall we pencil in 29 March @ 10 am, and Saturday 18 April 10 am. Depending on numbers could hold it at mine otherwise I will look for a venue and keep you posted. Of course if you have any ideas let me know. Also I will bring my sister who is an educationalist who can organise Greek games.

I found what I think is a good venue to maintain this long term. It is a cafe with a private area that we can use for the playgroup session. It is near Tulse Hill station loads of buses, and free parking nearby (Palace road).

http://www.jameswilsoncoffee.co.uk/

Unfortunately they are booked for Sunday but free on Saturday. According to Doodle we should still have good availability for Saturday afternoon 15:30-16:30 or 16:00-17:00. There is a cost to hire the private area, they quoted ?20 for 11 am saturday morning (I got my dates wrong when I went over) but I am not sure if it is the same in the afternoon (they quoted a maximum of ?25) Are we happy to cover that cost and maybe something to give towards to person organising the games and activities. If we chip in ?5-6 per family that should cover all costs. Any money left over (if any) can go towards beverages for the kids.

If you are happy with the location and the arrangements I will go ahead and book and prepay the venue.

Just a quick message to confirm that it is all booked in Saturday 28th 16-17.

The afternoon rate for the room is ?25 so maybe for the next one we go for an earlier session 11-12. Unless of course we all prefer afternoons.

We can discuss on the day, but if you don't think you will come this time round I am thinking of arranging the next one for the 25 April. It agrees with Doodle preferences and last Saturday of each month is nice and easy to remember.

Also, are you happy to keep discussing on here? I was thinking I could put together a fb page to make it easier keep in touch.