Solicitors fees

susyp

Just wondered if anyone could advise. I consulted a solicitor 2 weeks ago. I had 30 mins of advice - I was told the rate was 235 an hour, and so I expected a bill of half that. I subsequently received an ema

Summary if advice, with several inaccuracies as to what I had told him, and now a bill

Of ?335- for 30 mums plus 40 Mins writing attendance record and email To me recording advice- at no point was this part mentioned not that I would be billed for it.

I am assuming since it is a solicitor there is no point arguing, but I feel completely done over. This is a huge sum for me and I can't pay it for 2 weeks-

I can't see anything on the bill

About when to pay it except immediately. I am planning to email him stating my unhappiness and explaining i will pay him in a fortnight and tht I hope no late fee will be charged.

Susyp

A solicitor is obliged to clearly explain his/her fees to you, including the fact that any rates are always quoted exclusive of VAT. Did you sign an engagement letter of any sort with him? Were the fees clearly explained i.e. that any in-person meeting would be followed up with additional work (did you request he write down his advice to you)? If he didn't explain things to you adequately, then you certainly can challenge the invoice. There should also always be a grace period for payment.

Solicitors' Code of Conduct: http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbook/code/part2/

This might be helpful (as might contacting the SRA (Solicitors' Regulation Authority) if you really think you weren't advised properly): http://www.sra.org.uk/faqs/contact-centre/public/04-using-a-solicitor/How-can-I-find-out-how-much-it-will-cost-to-use-a-solicitor-.page

Good luck!

No he didn't mention VAT or any follow up work. I didn't sign anything. Should I just challenge him in the first instance or go through the firms complaints process straight off? Not bothered so much about v at as the additional charges .

Susyp

Solicitors always charge you the maximum they think they can get away with. "Venal" is the word to bear in mind.

I think what you do next depends on whether you intend to work with him over the coming months, or whether it was a one-off.

If I were you I would find someone else, anyway. The signs of this being a good working relationship aren't good.

The SRA makes it clear, so armed with the code of conduct you would have every reason to raise: not being told charges in advance; inaccuracies contained in his report; VAT omission; writing/email time extra; etc.

Another tactic (I used it successfully once) to make this pass quickly is to send them the amount you SHOULD have been charged, with a letter explaining why you consider their higher amount unjustified.

The firm then does a sum. They find it'll actually cost them a silly amount more to send you letters insisting they be paid the rest, than it would to accept your explanation and shut up.

Is it possible that your summary and charges weren't even written-up by the solicitor, but simply by a secretary who is billing you max as a default? Pay what you think you owe (half of ?235), including a letter noting shoddy work (inaccuracies in summary, etc), and tell them that your business relationship is now concluded. I agree with flOwer. It would cost them more to pursue this than just to let it go. And it doesn't sound like it would hold up in small claims court anyway. They're taking the p1ss. Be upfront and unapologetic.

How was the advice you did receive? Do you still need legal advice? I think there are a few Forumites who are solicitors. Maybe you can get a recommendation from someone here? Good luck. xx

I used house legal protection insurance to help me during the redundancy process, it was an add on to our buildings insurance policy. Something actually needs to have happened for it to kick-in i.e. I had to pay myself to consult a solicitor when it became apparent I was likely to be facing redundancy but once the formal redundancy notice had been issued - some 4 months later - then the policy kicked in. It doesn't apply for just seeking advice as foresight, which was a downer as I received great advice as to how to legally handle the forthcoming redundancy process.