FGM - topic back in today's news.

fl0wer

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/52740

To read the campaigner's column in the Guardian online, go to its 'Comment is Free' section, here =>http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/05/female-genital-mutilation-fgm-child-abuse-british-girls

Her contribution is included in a TV programme for Channel 4.

catch-up link http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-cruel-cut/4od

Warning: this film will be gruesome & opens with on-line guidance for protecting children's viewing.

The so-called 'cultural' arguments are reviewed as part of Leyla's campaign.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Should we really be interfering in other peoples'

> cultures? As they say.

Who is 'they'? Your ancestors who interfered in most cultures of the world and in many cases devastated them?

It is a practice used to control women. This society is by no means perfect however it can have at least some positive influence, it is hoped...

You're welcome, as always.

It was unsurprising to hear of the lack lustre response by this government. 28 years and no convictions? As per usual, France and other countries are actually doing something. It was coincidental (or was it planned?) that an advert came on after the programme depicting two trucks carrying BS (read: bullshit) to the Houses of Parliament.

I hope this petition and the show does bring more awareness of the issue. However awareness isn't action. I think one way to make Parliament act would be to embarass/shame (do they have any?) them into action by highlighting how France has worked to stamp it out. They could even invite a leading official to speak on national television about the work being done. Make Britain feel proud to be British and NOT French...

The 'cultural differences' argument holds no water at all when people from within these cultures (like the woman in this programme) are publicly exposing and condemning the practice as a step towards its eradication.

In any case, IS anyone seriously arguing for inaction on this basis? Or is the very idea of the 'PC Brigade' an utter straw man in itself?

I admit, I was tempted to post a picture to show what a mutilated vulva looks like and then people could decide if they thought it was something they would be happy for their daughter to experience. In some cases newborn babies are subjected to this. The practice may have been around for millennia however that does not make it right. People used to throw disabled children in bogs. If that were still being practiced would we say 'we shouldn't interfere'? Evil is allowed to continue when we stand and do nothing.

As a human, woman and mother of three daughters the thought of this practice saddens me deeply. I can't understand how humanity can have invested so much time and energy into harming one another; even our children. They may be a different culture, have different coloured skin but they are still every bit as human as the rest of us. Shame on this government for doing so little.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, the number of signatures passed 80,000 and recently I received an update from the relevant govt dept, which I expect all of you will get on your emails too, so will only copy and paste it here if requested.

Thanks everyone for support.