Flu vaccine for toddler

jennyh

Hi

I've been sent a text by DMC saying that my daughter is entitled to a flu vaccine and inviting us to a walk in clinic. She will be 3 in February. Just wondering if anyone else had this and what your take on it was...I have to admit I had never considered giving her the vaccine and didnt see it as necessary but as they've offered it I am not sure whether to give it???

Thanks

As far as I understand it, the reasoning behind extending the vaccine to toddlers is twofold. Firstly, they are more vulnerable to complications if they do get it as their immune systems are less developed. Secondly, they are major carriers of infection due to their propensity to sneeze without using a handkerchief, rub their germy hands and faces all over everyone etc. Vaccinating toddlers therefore helps reduce the spread of flu which helps protect other vulnerable groups. Mine is booked in for next week and personally if it means we reduce our chance of spending the winter flu-ridden and miserable I'm all for it!

We had ours today, nasal spray so took 2 seconds, painfree and not scary for a toddler. I do have friends who feel it's unnecessary (these are mothers who are anti all jabs/ medical interference). My concern was that my 2 year old boy has allergies and is at risk of becoming asthmatic, so I feel this is a simple way to at least help him get through this winter without getting flu and run-down etc, and his chest being affected. His sister has a great immune system but she had it too, hopefully we have a good winter!

Just read up on it a bit and thank you for opinions! I'm not at all anti vaccine, just had no idea that it was an option. I've recently had it as I'm pregnant so I'm up for reducing the spread. The nasal spray thing is going to be hard as she is very sensitive and will find that quite stressful, obviously less so than a needle but I have a feeling it isn't going to be quite as easy as I would hope!

I took up the offer of flu jabs for myself & my 3yr old. Haven't previously had flu jab myself despite having oppurtunity to via work, but this year with a baby due any day I felt it necessary as bubs would be so young & coming into contact with more bugs due to big sis being at nursery.

As others have said it's just a little puff up each nostril & takes seconds. Neither me or bugglet had any ill effects from it.

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emcmobile/medicine/25084/spc

summary of product above.

This is a live vaccine, wondering if it was explained to parents whos children recieved this,

That children should not come into contact witb immunocompromised.

http://www.practicenursing.co.uk/forum/topic.aspx?TOPIC_ID=20916

http://www.practicenursing.co.uk/forum/topic.aspx?Topic_ID=20489&whichpage=2

2links above from a nurses view.

Conflicting info on dosage.

Interestingly, ere is very clear advice in the "Green Book" (actually a website https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/239268/Green_Book_Chapter_19_v5_2_final.pdf ) which is the immunisations bible. Any concerns practice nurses/HV's/community staff nurses have locally can be answered via a helpline to immunisation experts based in the local public health depts.

Since incorrectly giving an immunisation is something which could threaten a nurses registration, it is something that is taken very seriously, the issue mentioned regarding the MMR isn't a worry in the local area as the 2nd MMR is typically given at 15mths & not with the pre-school booster so nil other live vaccine is due ya the same time (& if it was it could be given at the same time, it's just if not given together they need to be given 4wks apart due to the way the bodies immune defences kick in).

Regarding the issue of immunocompromised, similar could be said for any live vaccine (inc the rotavirus - it's predicted a high percentage of parents are getting rotavirus transmission via their babies nappies in the weeks following the immunisation!). With the MMR (info on the same website TE44 links to), research has shown the risk of transmission is so low that it is no longer seen as an issue, would be interesting to know if the warning regarding flunez is due to it being a newer immunisation & thus not as much data being available.

Would guess you would need to be living with an immunocompromised person to be a genuine risk & that if that was the case, you would be well drilled to ask about this when thinking about having it/You'd be attending your regular GP surgery would be aware of family health & be advising appropriately.

Buggie, when did your daughter turned 3? Ours did in September. We took her to the DMC this morning and explained to her the nurse would give her a nasal spray. However once we got there we were told she had to get her jab in the arm as she is over 3. Poor little thing was taken by surprise and us too but now it is done...

Bugglet was 3 in Sept too - we're at Forest Hill Rd & were invited by letter with info leaflet explaining it all. Having read up in the green book, the injection is ok to give, but unsure why the surgery would do this when all the publicity & info relates to the spray for 2-3yr olds http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/child-flu-vaccine.aspx

Would've been a nasty surprise to me if they'd sprung that on me. I would check the complaints procedure at the surgery & get a complaint into them as it is v unfair to suddenly move the goalposts like that.

I've never heard the term immunocompromised (had to look it up.....), but would a 7 mth old baby, otherwise healthy, be considered as such I the case of a live flu jab?

I have to admit that I didn't do any research before bringing my 28 mth old in, probably should have done so with a small baby in the house. The nurse knows me, and I had the baby with me, so I would have expected to be made aware of this.

This is purely out of interest as we're all fine, and the immunisation was weeks ago. As an aside she absolutely hated it and I think a jab might have been easier in a way.... (Maybe that's why we're all ok, maybe she didn't actually get enough of it after all the wriggling, and moaning after....)

No, immunocompromised relates to those with HIV/having treatment for cancer or have other specific medical problems/are on particular forms of treatment.

Babies aren't immunocompromised & if you're br/feeding set getting a v v good dose of anti-bodies from your immune system daily.

In day to day life everyone comes into contact with hundreds of thousands of bugs (albeit in v v tiny amounts) which even babies bodies are able to despatch with :-)

Hi - can anybody advise if the offer to get toddlers the flu jab is only for those families expecting another baby or for all toddlers? Mine is healthy and got a good immune system but I was wondering about getting him (and me - not pregnant) getting the jab, simply because getting the flu is horrible and I'd rather avoid it. We are with DMC but got no letter... thanks!

It seems like a lot of confusion over ordering and dosage, this vaccine has a shelf life of 16wks.

Any child having the nasal spray who has not already been vaccinated for flu, should have 2nd dose in 4wks.

There is also confusion overgp ordering in january.

This fluenz (nasal spray) is also known and been administered in US as flumist, nurses have found the green book

overriding manufacturers advice, this may have bbeen brought up to date recently but has not helped with confusion.

TE44 Wrote-------------------------------------------------------

> It seems like a lot of confusion over ordering and

> dosage, this vaccine has a shelf life of 16wks.

> Any child having the nasal spray who has not

> already been vaccinated for flu, should have 2nd

> dose in 4wks.

> There is also confusion overgp ordering in

> january.

> This fluenz (nasal spray) is also known and been

> administered in US as flumist, nurses have found

> the green book

> overriding manufacturers advice, this may have

> bbeen brought up to date recently but has not

> helped with confusion.

...only if have medical conditions putting them at high risk (see green book link).

In answer to the question on what checks were carried out - I was asked if we had egg allergies and also whether we are in contact with anyone who was seriously ill, including specifically cancer - so I assume all the nurses have to check on a tick-box basis.