Work experience; history related or museum

gwod

I'm supposed to help my teenage daughter find a few days work experience in February (10th-14th) and its proving really hard. She is really passionate about history and archaeology and hopes to train in this field in the future. We've sent out about 30 requests and had no luck. Do you work in a museum, with archaeology or any related field and feel you could help us?

A million years ago (early 1990s) as part of an MSc Archaeology I did one day a week at the Museum of London processing soils samples and finds in their lab underneath the museum itself. They might be worth a try and also the Institute of Archaeology in Gordon Square which is part of UCL.

Afraid I have moved on and contacts have changed at both institutions but still worth a try. As a career unless you are in the education side it is not great - poorly paid, short term contracts and lots of moving around the country to where the work is - suppose that could be most things these days! Interesting and great to study though. Conservation of finds would be a good career path and easier to get a longer term job at one institution. Good luck.

Thanks Mrs TP for taking the time to reply..The institute of archaeology is a place we had not thought of so we'll get on to that this evening. Conservation of finds is exactly what she'd like to end up doing, but it seems the conservators have a strict over 18s only policy.

She started her own collection of Neolithic tools and early metal items about 3 years ago, and has been avidly mudlarking, metal detecting, buying and selling and taking her finds to museums for authentication, but passion for the subject seems to count for very little and this work experience thing could be dampening, rather than firing her enthusiasm....Its frustrating.

Have you tried contacting the council for British archeology? They may be able to suggest places to contact. Also there are often opportunities to volunteer at digs, although not sure this would count as work experience.

Also what about large construction companies or projects like Crossrail? They will often engage an archeologist to investigate potential and actual construction sites, especially in and around the City.

ETA: have you thought of contacting universities that have an archeology course? They might have some office work for a week or something?

I have no background in archeology just offering suggestions of places to look... Hope they are useful!

That's not a bad idea gwod, maybe she could send them an interview with an aspiring archeologist as part of her request. The latest archeology related event she's been to. Her favourite item from her collection, what first inspired her, where she'd like to be in 10 years time. Would showcase all that passion and might be fun to do.

I must say I'm surprised teachers don't help with this - neither of my parents were in this field, nor did we know anyone who was, so if it hadn't been for lovely Mrs North I'm not sure what I would have done! Went on to do a degree in Ancient Near Eastern History which I have completely failed to use (it was actually quite boring).

Thanks Fuschia, Lots of great ideas in there, some of which we've investigated and some of which we hadn't thought of, so Ill get on to them straight away. The History website is a good resource for her too, really appreciated you having a think about it.

Oimissus, It is surprising the teachers don't help...they must know the sorts of places that kids in previous years went to, certainly the public schools have on-going arrangements with companies for their kids to go to, but in the state system its each man for himself!

Many schools do help. There are third arty organisations that will also provide schools with a work experience package. There is quite a lot involved with regard to insurance, risk assessments etc.

I don't know if your daughter's school have signed up with this organisation? http://www.southwarkeba.org.uk/education-business-alliance-projects/work-experience.html