Christmas off the high street - suggestions of places in our surrounding neighbourhood ...

I am always interested in supporting the small local and independent shops in the surrounding area. With Christmas coming, I wondered if anyone would like to contribute to this thread about gifts; food markets etc that might be of interest.

Although I do use Amazon and other retailers, I am aware that I will be spending money over this period, and would like to put it in the pockets of smaller businesses where possible.

So if anyone interested, perhaps we could use this as a thread for letting each other know about all the wonderful, quirky, interesting, finds for the holiday period.

So to start with I will mention the bookshop (will come and put the name in when I remember!) on Barry Road, great selection of books - I got my 13 year old niece a fashion book from there and she has been raving about it! Some good ideas for smaller children and an even better selection of books for adults. I bought some book vouchhrs from them (they start from ?5) as gifts for teachers last year .....

Last Christmas I ordered Ham (didnt want a whole one, but they sold me some slices) and a cheese selection from Dish and Spoon ..... will do the same next year.

Will add more ....

Not quite East Dulwich, but Romeo Jones in Dulwich Village has some excellent gifts at Christmas. They just posted some pics on their facebook page with a taster of what's on offer : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Romeo-Jones/217330958314640?hc_location=timeline

ETA: There will also be a late night Christmas shopping event in Dulwich Village on the 5th December from 5pm involving lots of Dulwich traders.

School fairs can be a good source of unusual pressies as well as a way of supporting your local community - am I allowed a little plug for the Heber Christmas Fair on Sunday 1 December, 11.30am to 3pm? There'll be several little local businesses attending with stalls selling their products.

The Dulwich College Christmas fair this Sunday looks like it'll have a nice selection of goods for sale from local people. I'll be promoting paperfolding and my book Origami for All http://www.origamiforall.com/

A friend of mine from East Dulwich is an amazing knitter and sells online here (she won't be at the fair) : http://www.maxsworld.co.uk/

I know knitters love her earrings...

There is also a shop called Doopodoopo in Forest Hill that sells artsy things made by locals and the Farmer's market at Horniman on Saturdays has a few stalls...

Happy shopping!

lightweight Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Captured on the Rye have really lovely handprinted

> organic T-shirts for kids and adults - worth a

> look if you have someone who's a bit difficult to

> by for or likes unusual things. They also do

> homewares and really gorgeous lampshades.

>

> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.62230437

> 1149105.1073741854.414741285238749&type=1

Earlier this year I also bought some lovely Made in East Dulwich t-Shirts and babygros for friends' kids at Captured on the Rye on Pellatt Road (by The Patch pub). They have handmade cards and all sorts of lovely things perfect for xmas gifts or new babies etc.

Esme x

Not sure if I can can add this here, but I will be exhibiting paintings for sale at The Galleon hair salon (Forest Hill Rd, top cnr of Peckham Rye) from Dec 1st until Jan 3rd. Properly affordable original paintings on canvas starting from under ?100 and ready to hang!

Have a look at my page on artfinder to see what sort of thing I do but there will be loads of new ones.

www.artfinder.com/amy-devlin

Or

www.facebook.com/amydevlinart

ETA: We are doing a competition for children on the day, bring along their best painting or drawing! For ages 3-7 the first prize is a lovely set of water colour pencils and for ages 8-12, the first prize is a table top box easel. The prize winners from both age groups will be displayed for the duration of the exhibition.

The Charter School are holding a Christmas Pop-Up Emporium Christmas Fair this Thursday evening between 5-8.30pm

Over 40 stalls selling designer-maker goods including fashion, accessories, toiletries, food, drink and much more.

Their tombola sounds good too with some great prizes from local businesses.

Free entry.

I can make something bespoke in fine silver, including your partners/children's/pet prints, or your choice of gemstones etc my fb page is www.facebook.com/mariamadeit I will be at the Goodrich school fair on 7th. I live in ed so you can come and browse my gems/ have an appointment if you need. I can make up your own designs or create something for you,o your budget...

There is a new shop down Bellenden road called "Quaint and Belle" which has a random assortment of gifts, some hand made jewellery and other things for the home.

I also sell my own handmade jewellery but don't sell somewhere physical in East Dulwich although I live here! I sell online but could do free pickup and I also can make custom items on request: trainstopjewellery.etsy.com