Mid-week break in January - any ideas?

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me? I'm trying to find somewhere to book for a couple of nights away for my husbands birthday in January. I'd like somewhere out of the city but only want to drive a couple of hours or so. My 2 year old would be coming with us and I have a tight budget. You'd think mid-week in Jan there would be lots of bargains to be found but I'm struggling to find anything. Does anyone have any ideas of a nice b&b, country hotel/pub, self-catering cottage that I could try? Or even any good websites to search on?

Thank you!

We've stayed at gladwins farm in Suffolk for a long weekend and its lovely, would suit your 2yo well if anything like ours, can feed the goats in the morning, collect fresh eggs, swimming pool on site, outdoor and indoor play things on site, can organise babysitting for you or they have a range of cook meals if you want an easy night in.couple of good local pubs and restaurants and within easy reach of duxford and Colchester zoo for more anytime activities. We are planing on going back in January.

Check out the new forest. We stayed in daisy bank, absolutely gorgeous and you can walk out into the forest (not sure what it woudl be like with a buggy).

A little bit pricey, but the breakfast alone was worth it. You are also really close to the Isle of Wight, and Lymington also worth a visit.

We went in Feb this year, our last day was just when the mega cold started, and it was blinking freezing!

You miht struggle to find cottages for two nights midweek - best to contact the owners direct.

http://www.bedandbreakfast-newforest.co.uk/

We went to whitstable last march, when it was still cold and snowing. We stayed at the fishermans cottages for 2 nights http://www.hotelcontinental.co.uk/view/fisher-huts. They were lovely right by the seafront, my two year old loved putting on her waterproofs and wellies and paddling in the sea. The town is pretty has some nice shops and we had a really good lunch here http://www.pearsonsarmsbyrichardphillips.co.uk

We stayed at The Ebrington Arms in The Cotswolds a couple of years ago. It is a lovely pub and great restaurant with just 3 very nice rooms. Because it is so small we felt comfortable leaving our son asleep upstairs (brought our baby monitor) while we had a meal and a very cozy drink. The area is lovely.

Also had a great weekend at the Bannatyne Charlton House Spa Hotel in Somerset. The spa area is incredible! We had to use it separately as we had our son with us but it was still very relaxing. We had a room just above the restaurant so used the baby monitor again to have a meal in the evening. The common areas in the hotel were lovely and welcoming and they were very nice about our son's rampaging. We had a 2 night mid week package on a good rate but this was a good few years ago.

The Ebrington Arms was about ?90/night including breakfast (and that was a weekend just before Xmas) and the Charlton House about ?100 but that included dinner, bed and breakfast. So might be good deals to be had mid-week in January. But was a few years ago so maybe both more expensive now!

Center Parcs is as cheap as Center Parcs gets during January, it is ?229 for a 2 bed woodland lodge at Elveden for 4 nights from Jan 13th. You really don't need to spend any extra money while you are there as the kitchen is really well stocked with pots and pans. There is a big Sainsbury's about 5-10 minutes drive away towards Thetford and you can stock up on Pizza's and other easy meals. Animals come right up to your window every day, ducks, squirrels and deer if you are lucky. There is a fire place to make it lovely and cozy. If your budget can stretch the spa is a lovely treat, but if not the swimming pool is great with a lazy river, wave pool, slides and great toddler area. I will never go again now though, my son is in reception and the same 4 day break costs about a grand in school holidays!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

Canela - I love the look of the yurts and was very tempted as I know my husband would love to stay in one but have decided to save them for a future date when night time dashes to the bathroom might not be so cold! (I'm pregnant so there could well be several of those ;) )

I've ended up booking 2 nights in a fisherman hut at Whistable as we've never been to the part of the world and I think my husband would love the quirkiness of them. So thank you very much for recommending them gebbjane!

If you're going to Whitstable, you must go to Seasalter (just outside) and have lunch at the Sportsman. They have a Michelin star but are no more expensive than Franklins (well a bit now, but still not awful for the quality), and quite happy to provide children's portions. Our favourite place to eat in the world. You need to book in advance.