morning sickness

popsy

I know there have been many threads on this...but im now 8 weeks pregnant and suffering with ms. With my first pregnancy I also had it badly and it lasted until 21 weeks. I dont think I can cope with it for that long again (im already barely able to cope), so just wondering about asking dr for something. Bit worried about how safe meds are as obviously dont want to risk harming the baby. I know lots of people do take stuff, and presumably kate middleton had something for her "hg" so presume they wouldnt give her anything risky.

Any feedback greatly appreciated...

Im trying everything, sea bands, small regular meals, sucking sweets, boiled water, diet coke all of which help a bit, but just the constant nausea and tiredness is too much. Havent got hg (which must be truely terrible) as only being sick 2-3times a day)

Thanks!

I had really, really bad nausea with my second and found a very weird thing that helped a bit where nothing else did - Nevasic app - it's really strange distorted music that you listen to and it apparently disrupts the neural signals of nausea/vomiting. I didn't find it an absolute cure but I used to listen to it on headphones whenever I could and it definitely did something positive even at some very rough times!

Definitely worth a try:

http://nevasic.com/

Go to GP ,reseaerch safe anti emetics that are ok in pregnancy .

Please dont suffer anymore than necessary - there are a lot of anti emetics ,some must be safe .

Good luck ,I really feel for you .

Plain /salty popcorn ?

Dont forget rehydration powders ,Indepenedent chemists do a nice dissolavable tablet ,lemon one ,nicer than Diolaryte .

Definitely go to the GP, as there are lots of different anti-emetics that you can try during pregnancy. There is also an HG "service" at King's now if you need to drop in and get rehydrated by IV. First admission is through A&E, but then you can go straight there for subsequent visits...

I've had proclorperazine, domperidone, cyclizine, odansetron (and another one I can't remember at the moment) at various points during pregnancy for HG. They work to a degree and some can be taken in combination. It is worth asking your GP to call King's if they are not familiar with prescribing for ms, as the nurse practitioner there is very knowledgeable.

Also, it is perfectly acceptable to need time off work for ms and rest is really important.

If you are throwing up 2/3 times a day you are probably dehydrated and could well fall under the "HG" diagnosis. Sounds pretty bad to me! I was sent to hosp for a drip at 7 weeks as was losing every meal. It was sheer hell - you have all my sympathies. HG is a badly understood condition. This website is really useful in explaining what HG is and the meds etc.. http://www.helpher.org BEST OF LUCK. IT WILL PASS xx

I had terrible ms with first child and like you was nervous of meds and didn't take any. Was a truly miserable 9 months.

I had very sudden onset ms with second child at 6 weeks pg and was hospitalised for 4 days to rehydrate. I really didn't have a choice but to take meds. I would rotate cyclizine and metaclopramide. No ill effect on baby at all. Have to say though meds are not a miracle cure (or weren't for me). They reduced vomiting of 3 or 4 times a day to just once or twice. Didn't take nausea away. They just minimised the vomiting, and the doctors told me that was the aim.

It is so so hard to be in that situation with another child to care for so you have my sympathies. I found trying to conquer the mental side of it worked best so e.g. Don't think, 'I'm going to be like this for months on end', just think of each day and getting through it. Tiredness made it worse for me so get help with your looking after your child. I would also freeze bottles of water each night and sip on that every morning as I couldn't bear any liquids.

You will get through it. Reward yourself each day with something nice like a bubble bath in the evening. I also had a flair up again at about 18 weeks and was admitted to Kings overnight and actually one thing that did keep me vom free for about 10 weeks was ranitidine- I think it is an antacid. So you could ask your GP about that.

Good luck. It is so hard - as someone else said HG or any long lasting and severe morning sickness is absolute hell and I actually don't think many people understand how miserable it can be. It is completely worth it though so keep remembering that

Xxxxx

I had awful morning sickness in both of my pregnancies. It is truly awful especially when you have another child to look after. Just wanted to echo etta166, take time off work if you need to. I found tiredness made the sickness so much worse, I almost cried with relief when the GP suggested signing me off work for a few weeks. I was hardly getting any work done anyway with all the dashing to the loo to throw up!

Hope you feel better soon.

You poor thing,

Definitely go to the GP and ask for something if you find you can't cope or are getting dehydrated. I had HG with both pregnancies.

I waited until 14 weeks into my first pregnancy to take medication (promethazine) as I was so anxious about taking drugs while pregnant, but I was in a position to be able to lie on the floor throwing up 30 times a day as it was my first child and I was freelance so I just stopped taking work on.

With my second pregnancy, by week 7 I was unable to look after my toddler so I started the drugs much sooner (this time needed both promethazine and metoclopramide, perhaps cos hormone levels are higher in first trimester) and it reduced the vomiting and nausea to some degree in first trimester and started to work considerably better in second trimester.

Can you go to bed super early? as Crystal7 says, tiredness really exacerbates it.

I also found the Nevasic app helped, as Bluesuperted says. Weird but true! You just listen to it for 15 mins a day.

Are you working? If so are they understanding at work?

Really feel for you, it's just dreadful.

xx

Thanks everyone. Going to try and get appt with doctor to discuss Medication. Good to know others have used it without any adverse impacts. Maybe signing off work for a week or two would help as tiredness really makes it worse. Just so difficult because feel guilty abd people really dont understand unless theyve been through it, especially when other pregnant people at work (with twins) have no symptoms!

Will also try the music thing and have made appt for acupuncture which ive heard can help (although I am skeptical).

Thanks x

I've not been through it so no advice but just wanted to say how much I admire people who so suffer. As someone who hasn't had morning sickness I have a lot of respect for those who do, I don't know how you manage to function through a day so if you're worried about what people think, try not to. They prob feel for you, I know I do!

Definitely see if you can get medication. I had cyclizine in my first pregnancy and it helped massively. Second time round I was deemed not sick enough by the midwife and decided to try acupuncture. I did feel that it helped me, and if nothing else it was very relaxing!

you have all my sympathy. it is truly hellish. tiredness makes it so much worse so even if you could get a few days off i would take it. don't feel guilty about it.

the one thing i found made it better was taking a walk in the fresh air - round the park or in sydenham woods. also, lots of telly to take your mind off it.

It is truly horrible. I took cyclizine during my 3rd pregnancy (suffered with no meds for the first two) which did stop me puking but didn't take away the nausea. You mentioned diet coke - I found normal full fat coke was better - and ready salted crisps. Whatever you can manage really - it makes me smile wryly when people talk about healthy pregnancy diets when I lived on junk and not much else for 9 months! Still they are 9, 7 and 3 now and seem to be completely normal! Best of luck - hope it stops soon.

Just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's kind words. At the mo it feels like it'll never end, but really hoping/praying 9 weeks is the peak!! trying to take each day as it comes.Have been signed off work for 2 weeks which is such a relief, although I do feel really guilty about it there's no way I could function and was just getting exhausted. Not sure why i feel so guilty, if I had food poisoning and felt this bad id take days off no problem, let alone weeks/months of it!

Already easier to cope with the constant nausea not being so tired. Have been prescribed meds too, but haven't started them yet.

Have downloaded nevasic and amazingly it does seem to work (while listening), which provides some welcome relief. Thanks for that suggestion! Definitely recommend to any other sufferers!

Hi popsy, sorry you're still feeling awful but glad you've been signed off!

Glad Nevasic is helping a bit too - I found it the same, really glad I had it to help me even though it didn't cure me. It's weird to listen to though isn't it?! I think I read about it on babycentre but pretty much never heard of it before of since, they need to publicise it more!

Fingers crossed things will turn a corner as the hormones calm a bit, in the meantime rest as much as you can!

xx

I had ms for 5 months in this pregnancy and tried everything from small regular meals and plain foods to antacid tablets (Rennies minty ones bearable). I found best cure eating big breakfast of porridge and fruit then normal lunch and no dinner - big eve meal just not possible. Wish I'd known about weird music, sounds worth a try tho maybe more a distraction than anything? *cynical me*

Hello popsy, by any chance have you heard of magnesium for pregnancy sickness? I have suffered terribly with my three previous pregnancies, including being hospitalised on the iv. So while TTC I have been doing endless research on sickness prevention and cure and magnesium deficiency has come up time and again as a likely cause. I am approaching 6 weeks and have been taking epsom salt baths every couple of days. Having read some more recently I am considering buying some magnesium oil from holland and Barrett since you can't "overdose" on magnesium and it is best absorbed through skin. I've started to get the first signs of queasiness since yesterday but its definitely manageable, no urges to hurl whatsoever. I've also been making sure I never get very hungry as I know that was always a huge trigger for me, cue endless vomiting of bile and retching(sorry if tmi!) I'm loving seeds right now sunflower, pumpkin etc and trying to do some exercise everyday if only for 5 mins. As I stated I'm only 6 weeks so time will tell but by now the throes of sickness would usually have overtaken me so I'm keeping a positive outlook. Have my booking in appt in two days and will be asking about meds again still as I absolutely will not go through what I went through before so trying to cover all bases! Hope it works out well for you xxx

Yes hellosailor I agree not a distraction, it definitely changed something for a period of time during and after. And it's not exactly pleasant to listen to so I don't think I'd have stuck at it just to distract. I couldn't bear to listen to an audiobook or music either (as my nausea also came with v strong headaches). It's definitely worth trying. I was hospitalised with dehydration in Cyprus at 8 weeks pregnant and I remember thinking how the hell would I ever manage to get back home to the UK - but I listened to the track continually until I got on the plane and it really did help. I think, like with all things pregnancy, you forget a lot of this kind of stuff but actually Nevasic was an amazing tool to have and I'd go straight to it if I ever suffered from pregnancy nausea again.

Ummnaziya I havent heard about magnesium, but will give it a go - might pop to h&b asap. Probably a stupid question but are epsom salts bath salts? Can u get them from boots etc?

Id read about ms being a protein deficiency and tried od-ing in the early stages, but now cant even look at quinoa (even typing it makes me feel ill) and don't think it made a difference.

Eating all the time does help as definately worse when stomach empty, so will probably get really fat!!

Just over 10 weeks now so hope its peaked and will begin to recede soon.

Let me know how you get on. Hope you manage to avoid it!!

You can get food grade Epsom salts that can used internally for various reasons but the external ones work just as well in the bath. I get mine from the local independent chemist but boots should defo have it and I've also seen it in morrisons so they should be easy to find. I'll try to keep you updated on how I'm doing, in the meantime try googling magnesium for morning sickness and have a look at the various articles and experiences x