3.5 tog grobag

Jtpickers

Our 10 month old keeps waking up at night when he's in his room and as he sleeps fine in our room and at other peoples' houses we've come to the conclusion he's getting cold. Is anyone already using 3.5 tog sleeping bags? Am nervous he will be too hot during the evening when we have the heating on. He's currently in a vest, sleep suit and 2.5 tog bag. Any advice gratefully received! He can't stay in his travel cot in our room for the whole winter!

My 9 month old wears the same, but i also tuck a sheet over him and under his mattress (sometimes i double the sheet over, if i think it's really cold), you could perhaps do this before you go to bed/once heating is off, or put heating on a timer to come on for half an hour at one or two in the morning to take the chill out the air....

Neither of mine ever had higher than a 2.5 tog (but our rooms have been warmer than that usually, not sure why) - but what we do for my 2 year old is go in when we're going to bed, check if he's cold, and tuck over a little blanket/giant muslin depending how cold it is.

I put a small cellular blanket folded in two over mine in a 2.5 tog. I don't like his little hands turning to ice. If you think he's getting cold you are probably right. Another option is a plug in radiator for his room. I got one you can set the temp on so you know they won't get too hot or too cold (maybe in the sales which will start imminently)?

Hi,

My one year old is a wriggler too. I researched this a bit too and dress my boy like you. Vest, sleepsuit, 2.5tog growbag with legs. Guidelines say this is spot on for a room 16-20 degrees. They say you shouldn't need a radiator on in the room with this outfit. I too think my boy sometimes wakes from cold when the room drops to 16 in the early morning. I would pop the radiator on but it's really noisy. If the room continues to get colder I might have to find a greater tog. However, I am mindful that it's safer for them to be too cold than too hot.

Think I saw that Aldi is selling oil filled mini radiators for ?19 this week...

They do say cellular is safer for babies I think yes, I had a knitted shawl thing which was very fine and gossamer like, I felt it was quite safe but tucked it pretty snugly from memory. It is easier once they're bigger and you can stop worrying about this stuff so much!

Hi. Yep you should be fine with a cellular even if they manage to hide themselves under it. The radiator we have is pretty silent- I'm a terrible sleeper and it doesn't wake me.i think it was about ?100 from john Lewis-it's a dimpled Eco one.

I think the comment about erring towards too cold rather than too warm is definitely right. Also it is normal for their hands to be colder than the rest of them. I can remember being freaked out by that with my first. It's also annoying when they wake and you're not sure if it's because they're cold or some other mysterious reason!

From 18mth our boy has been (for winter months) on vest, pjs and 2.5 tog bag in room heated to 18oc (using oil filled radiator) and its worked for us. His room is the attic conversion which can easly go down to 10/12oC on a cold night. We dont like the heating on at night so the oil filled rad is perfect, its the DeLonghi one, not cheap to but but not expensive to run and has been a lifesaver over 2 winters (and some spring/autumn) nights!

We did the oil-filled radiator as well and it made a big difference. I would turn it on when we went to bed. I felt that the electricity costs were justified by the extra sleep! Now that he's bigger his sleep is not as sensitive to the temperature, so it was really only one or two winters that we needed it.

We have a wriggly older baby and our bedrooms aren't heated at night so we have the 3.5 tog sleeping bag from jojos. In the 2.5 I found his hands were getting icy cold and he was waking which I put down to getting too cold when wriggling out of blankets. The jojos one was the most reasonable price wise that I found.

• 2 weeks later...
On the subject of oil heaters, wondered whether I could ask those of you who have them whether yours are quiet? We've been using one for the last few weeks in our LO's room (the coldest in the house unfortunately) but the thermostat makes a loud click sound when it's switching on/off. Coincidentally our LO has started waking up A LOT at night and (clutching at straws) I'm wondering whether the clicking thermostat is disturbing him? Are there brands that are particularly quiet or will we have this problem with any model? We were thinking about getting a new one anyway (for a different room) but otherwise might resort to the 3.5 tog grobag....