To tan or not to tan?

JMT

I'm going on holiday to warmer climes this Christmas and after a comment from my husband about the fluorescent whiteness of my legs, I'm considering getting a spray tan. However, my friend has warned me against it, recommending I just use some St Tropez cream and do it myself.

Has anyone had a bad experience, or even a good experience with spray tans?

Thanks

why in particular has your friend warned you against it?

If on the grounds of price then buying a bottle of st.tropez cream won't work out much cheaper than a spray tan, and if it's on the grounds that it might not look good / come out streaky then it's a lot more likely it will look good if a professional does it than if you do it for yourself for the first time! There are a couple of mobile spray tanners on the forum who will come to your house and do it, I've used a couple of different people on here, both with v good results.

x

I have had a spray tan ..... I went with real doubts / however it was a special occasion, i was going from winter climes here and all i can say is it was amazing! I wish I had done it before!

If you do go for one, remember to take some loose clothing to put on afterwards, (you dont want to rub clothes etc against it) It does rub off a bit when you sleep, so sleep on old sheet etc, other than that it gives an instant glow!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JMT

I have been working and spray tannning the good people of ED for the last 5 years.

A good home self tanner can work wonders and is obviously cost effective - I use it myself from time to time. However when bearing all for a holiday a spray tan really does make you feel more comfortable in your smimwear from day 1. With a good tan, the coverage should be natrual and flawless.

Think of it this way - a good spray tan is like plastic surgery - you only spot the bad ones!!

I have attached link to thread of my reviews on EDF. If you would like to call me for a chat you are welcome to do so. I work in Dulwich most evening (I am mobile and come to your house after you are back from work / kids have gone to bed).

See my thread of reviews http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,667910,1136860#msg-1136860

Hope this helps.

All the best

Kelly

T: 07984 747893 x

I had a terrible experience with a spray tan! It was before my wedding. I went for a trial run a few weeks beforehand to see how it would look and it was lovely - no problems at all, perfect to take the edge off my pale skin for a winter wedding. So I went back to the same place in ED a few days before my wedding. After a few hours, i started feeling itchy and hot, especially behind knees, inside elbows, neck etc. it got worse and worse and I decided to shower off the stuff before the allocated time had passed. that night the itching and burning got progressively worse and I was feeling not only uncomfortable but quite upset at the prospect of being an itchy red mess on my wedding day as it was also by then spreading to my face, neck and chest area. The next day we were setting off early to drive to the north of England to prepare the wedding venue, so I ran to sainsburys pharmacy at 7am and got antihistamines and calamine cream. I took as much as I was allowed and stopped at motorway services every couple of hours with hubby-to-be to apply the calamine to hard to reach bits! My face by then was itchy and blotchy with some swelling.

Luckily, within 24 hours it had all passed and I still had a couple of days to go for the wedding, so all I suffered was very dry skin for quite some time and a rather stern lesson learnt about trying to beautify myself with chemicals! I think I also enjoyed the wedding more because of the relief it was all ok in the end.

So - even if you do a test run, don't assume all will be ok. I don't have any other allergies and am not usually sensitive to products except for having dry skin.

Also, disappointingly, the owner of the salon never bothered to call me back when I rang to tell them what had happened. A friend has told me it is possible the fake tan solution had gone off.