Where to get Gold fish from?

aysh

Yes I think he's too young depending on his personality. We looked after my aunts goldfish as kids when she went on holiday. Walked into the room as my 2 year old bro walked out-fish was on the sideboard flapping about. He survived that but not my aunts kid sharing her Rice Krispies as she didn't think the flakes tasted good...

I have been asked my my sister to get my niece a Robofish for Christmas. Not seen it up close, but it claims to provide the enjoyment of a real fish, without the hassle (and more child friendly). Can even play with it in the bath.

Fish in a bowl is about ?20 so probably similar cost to the real thing....

We've had a fishtank since my daughter was around a year old. Go for zebra fish or similar danio type small fish. They're hardier and won't outgrow a small tank like most gold fish. Get a proper tank with a small filter, so you'll need to change the water less often, less hassle. The pet shop in Ladywell has very knowledgeable staff in the fish room. Good luck!

Not ED but there is a good pet shop in the basement of the Glades in Bromley (to the right of Boots if you stand outside Boots looking at it). You have to wander right into the pet shop but they have loads of fish tanks over in the far right corner and sell everything you would need.

There's a pet shop in the indoor market in Peckham, near the station, they sell fish. There's also Phoebes in Catford or Supreme Animal Foods in Lewisham. I would recommend Supreme Animal Foods they provide lots of advice and the fish are very healthy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Can recommend the one in crystal palace, don't know if we were really unlucky but when we have got fish from peckham they have died within a month or 2. Switched to crystal palace and didn't so anything different and they lasted a few years! If you want a tank I was about to throw ours out. It will need a bit of scrubbing as it's got a lot of alge inside from having to keep it in direct sunlight for,last couple of months. But when our last fish died we decided not to restock. If you want it you are more than welcome just sen me a pm for address. It's a nice size tank with light( bulb just replaced last month) and filter etc. Be fine with a good clean out.

Can anyone tell me roughly what's needed for keeping a fish - kit, cost etc. My youngest is desperate to get one (would like a dog / cat / hamster but is pitching her ask strategically!). I know nothing about keeping them but if we did get one, I know I'd want to do it right.

I visited the Peckham Market pet shops recently and I think the one that sells the fish has recently changed hands. There is now also an alarming array of reptiles and other creatures in there - snakes, tarantulas, scorpions etc. Eek!

A medium-sized tank is easier to keep than a small tank. Small tanks need frequent water changes and are easily overstocked. Stick with freshwater until you've had some experience before setting up a saltwater tank.

Don't overfeed, don't overstock. Small, freshwater, coldwater fish that school look nice and are easy to keep. Always check that the adult size will be suitable for your tank, if fish are likely to grow. As a guideline, 1-2cm of fish per 1 litre of water. This is a good resource: http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26489. You'll need a pump/filter, and shelter - can be real or fake plants, or decorations etc suitable to your fish type.

If you choose warm water fish (ie, tropical freshwater) you must get a heater and keep the water at an appropriate temperature. British homes are too cold not to heat the tanks for tropical fish. Fish are sensitive to temperature, and will easily become sick and die at the wrong temperature.

Avoid fish that are territorial or aggressive. They need more tank space and often bully and injure other fish.

The petshop in Ladywell (Supreme Animal Foods, 324-328 Lewisham High St,London SE13 6JZ) generally gives good advice and has fair prices.

Use the correct amount of water conditioner, and do a ~30% water change every other week. Only clean the gravel 1/month.

On second thought, a cat might be easier...