Childminder recommendation: Lorna Barley

Holly B

Lorna has been looking after my 2 and half year old daughter since she was 9 months old and has developed a close relationship and very strong bond with her. She currently cares for 2 children and has a vacancy available.

Lorna is warm and engaging with the children in her care whilst creating clear boundaries. She places a lot of importance on communication and has invested her time in getting to know our family and discussing my daughter's individual needs and behaviours, encouraging us to work together at various stages of development.

With Lorna's support my daughter has developed into an independent, happy and confident child. Lorna has progressed her self-care skills and her physical and emotional development. She is consistent in always communicating progress to me so that we can work together on developing the same skills at home. She is also very quick at identifying and flagging up areas that may need attention.

Lorna has many years experience with children and a wealth of knowledge of early years development along with a huge amount of energy and a strong sense of fun. She offers a stimulating secure and caring environment in which the children sing and dance, paint and draw, cook and play. She has a nice garden and encourages lots of outdoor play. They go out daily to the park, the library and to various soft play and play groups.

My daughter loves the time she spends with Lorna, always coming home full of excitement about her day. I really would recommend her business as a great option for developmental childcare. She is located in East Dulwich near the top of Barry Road, close to Dulwich Library.

Lorna Barley: 07958 363319

• 1 month later...

Our 2.5 year old son has been with Lorna since he was 12 months old and I would not hesitate to recommend her as a wonderful childminder. Our son absolutely adores her and loves the days he spends with Lorna. They get up to all sorts of exciting activities with a trip out every day to the park, the library, a playgroup, local soft play centre or meeting up with other local childminders and their children. When they are at home Lorna organises really stimulating activities for them such as cooking, painting, reading, singing, dancing or playing in the garden. In the summertime they even get to grow their own sunflowers and vegetables in Lorna's garden, which they then help harvest and use to cook with.

Lorna is bursting with energy and fun and her love for the children she cares for is evident in the way they interact. Lorna invests a lot of time and energy in getting to know the whole family and is a firm believer in working together and communicating regularly in order to provide the best support for the child.

Lorna currently has a vacancy and as I said before, I would not hesitate to recommend her.

• 5 months later...

My daughter is now 3 and due to start Goodrich nursery in September for 5 mornings a week. Lorna has agreed to continue her care for a couple of the afternoons per week, collecting her from Goodrich on those days. Lorna has let me know that she would be happy take on a second child to pick-up from Goodrich and care for during the afternoons.

The other 2 children in Lorna's care will also be attending nursery so she will have two more spaces available from September. I have been very happy with the time and energy Lorna has put into caring for my daughter who continues to thrive in her care.

Lorna Barley: 07958 363319

• 1 year later...
Both our sons have been looked after by Lorna and we would not hesitate to recommend her. When we had to leave our first son to go back to work we never had any doubt that he would be well loved and well fed! He became a regular on trips to Peckham and into Dulwich park. Lorna's house was always spotless and she helped develop our boys, instilling in them good manners and also identifying the right time for them to move onto a different environment. Now 6/7 years on we are still in regular contact with Lorna continuing to take a strong interest in their development.