Judith Kerr Primary school - opinions from parents please

vez

We are interested in getting some opinions from families who have kids at Judith Kerr school. We do not live in the catchment area but wanted to know if it's worthwhile the schlepp every morning, apparently there is a remote chance to get in via a lottery system? We have a nice school down the road but need to decide which school to put first. We went to their open day which was interesting but in the end you only get a very brief snapshot of life at a school.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
I can't help you with feedback as I'm in the same position of really wanting to know how parents find it. It looked like it had potential from a visit I did but I'm finding it a little tricky to actually put it down as one of my choices without really knowing what it's like. So I'm adding my voice as another request for forumites in the know to get in touch pls.

We started there last year as didn't get into any of our local choices. We were late applicants and had no trouble getting in - I think it was very undersubscribed as it only started up last Sept without much chance for people to learn much about it.

I liked the ethos and the teachers but we ended up getting a place (via waiting list) at a school a lot closer after half a term so moved our daughter. The main issues I found were that kids came from a wide area so playdates were tricky, and that there was no kitchen yet built so they were only given sandwiches and fruit rather than a hot/filling meal in winter.

It could well be worth putting it down as a choice if you're in doubt about getting a place at your preferred option(s) rather than being allocated somewhere you really don't want.

Hi

Yes, we've got it on the list too. It'd be interesting to know how many local families are selecting it for September 2014 entry. My main worry (as others have mentioned above) is the other kids coming from too far and wide for playdates etc.

I'd also be interested to hear about the experience of parents who have children there already

Hello,

I have a daughter in year 2 who started at Judith Kerr in September. We are so far really happy with how things are going, the staff are fantastic, it is a very warm and friendly school community. The German language aspect is also brilliant, we are a non German speaking household yet our daughter has come on leaps and bounds in just afew months.

We were already at a popular local school but moved our daughter as the small class sizes and language opportunities were very important to us. So far, also, we have had no shortage of play dates!

The main thing for us is that she is really happy. The school has done tremendously well in a short space of time. I hope this helps.

Hi,

Our son is in reception at Judith Kerr and we feel very lucky to have a place there. It's been a fantastic experience for all of us particularly as we were one of a number of families who originally got none of our 6 choices. The school has a friendly almost family feel. The teachers are fantastic and have put so much effort into getting it up and running and I can't praise the head enough - approachable, welcoming, with a wealth of experience.

Max class size of 25 is a big plus as is the opportunity to learn another language. Our son is loving it and has already made some really strong friendships. Play dates can be an issue but those that travel a further distance to school mostly drive so it's not such a problem. Plus the Florence pub in Herne Hill has a play room so this has been used on more than one occasion for get togethers!

I'm not concerned about the hot meals issue - if Southwark weren't doing free school meals he'd be getting a packed lunch anyway.

It's obviously still a work in progress in some respects though not at all in the teaching or the school experience of the children as far as I can see. It's exciting to be part of the school as it grows and evolves.

Admissions policy is 50% distance, 50% lottery.

Hope that helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry -I know this is after the 2014 entry submission date!

My daughter is at JKPS. We took the leap into the unknown by taking her out of a very good local school for her to benefit from the bilingual education and smaller class sizes that JKPS offered.

We are delighted with the school. As mentioned before, the teachers, teaching assistants, support staff and head are wonderful and the ethos is fantastic. It is a friendly, lovely school.

Our daughter is developing very well. We are from an English only speaking household and it is wonderful to see our 5 yr old voluntarily speaking another language at home, and is already teaching our younger child German! I can't recommend it enough. She also has lots of friends and play dates!

There is to be more development of the building and grounds for next year. However, what they have achieved so far in such a short period of time is incredible.

A happy parent.

Hi,

Have heard rumours on the German language forums that the only fully qualified German teacher has been sacked and the headmistress is thinking of/has resigned. Is there any truth in these rumours? Would be especially grateful to hear from current parents.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
They said in the open day last year that they were thinking of opening another year 3 for 2014 but I am not sure whether they decided to go ahead or not; It is better to call and get the information from the correct source. And in regards of qualify teachers I believe they are all qualify either in the UK or overseas; it all seems gossip to me

Though to be fair to the PP who was generally ignored by the parents who previously posted on here, the school's website does now mention an 'interim headteacher' which suggests that the one that was there in the beginning has indeed moved on. So someone must have known. Bit unusual for no one to respond I thought as there could have been any number of reasons for the change.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are nervously waiting to hear whether we've got into Judith Kerr primary school for our son who'll be starting reception in september... nervously because it will mean moving our life from Hackney to Herne Hill for the sake of a school, and I'm worried that with the original headteacher having left, the school might be on shakey ground. Are there parents out there who can fill me in on how the governance and teaching and atmosphere of the school is since the interim headteacher started? I wouldn't normally worry too much about a change of teacher, but when we visited JKPS the only thing you could judge it on were its teachers and parents, as the school is so new and the building / facilities still in development. Both seemed passionate and sensible, but this feeling has been turned upsidedown somewhat by the most important teacher leaving only a few months into her job. If anyone can fill me in from the ground I'd be really grateful. Thank you.

Hi,

I am not a parent with children at JKPS, but always liked it.

Maybe you do a field trip and ask parents at the school gates in the morning

or afternoon. Most people are happy to chat and give recommendations.

• 6 months later...
I am reviving this thread as we are considering Judith Kerr school for our son next year. Any recent opinions from current parents would be very gratefully received as we do not know any parents with children at the school but are very keen on the idea of a bilingual education for our son. Please PM me if you would be willing to share your thoughts, thank you.