Home renovations - where to begin?

ladyruskin

Not sure if this is the right place on the forum to be asking this, but I figure there are plenty of families that have gone through major renovations who may be able to offer some advice.

We've just moved into a property for which we have relatively grand plans as part of a long term project. The surveys we commissioned prior to purchase suggested there are some fundamental issues which will need addressing as a priority but we want to undertake these with our long term vision in mind.

Being relative novices to this sort of thing, we'd like to engage someone who can help us articulate our plans and advise the order in which things should be done. Does such a person exist? Does anyone have any recommendations on how to approach the project?

Thanks in advance.

We have just finished (the main bit of) our house renovation and extension ... Five months during which time I had our second child in the midst of a building site! It's not fun and everything takes longer than you think (and costs more) but it is worth it. We moved in November 2012, had the architect round in December, planning permission by end jan and build started march. I would say that an architect (who you like) is pretty key as if it is all a bit new to you, as it was us, they can help put your back of an envelop ideas into a form that becomes more real. In the end our architect came up with some basic ideas which we then took the best bits of and then he added some good bits (glass floors etc!) - it was a joint project with us, him and our great builder and we are really happy with it. The architect's team

Project managed but I would say you need to be hands on too and ready to make quick decisions and chivvy.

Our architect was Matthew Wood of MWA architects - he lives locally and is v good with creating space and light. Have a look at his recent projects!

Good luck and try not to rush things!

We did this... Without an architect.... Without a project manager... Without an interior designer. WITH a toddler and a mobile new baby. Living on site. It was HARD! I'm really proud we did it but I wouldn't recommend doing it our way unless you have to.

I love the way things have turned out and apart from a few v small choices we've had to redo, I think we made all the right decisions for us, at each step, at speed! We used excellent tradespeople and I project managed with a baby and toddler on each hip. I am pretty organised and good at decision-making/researching interiors/ideas on iPhone etc, but even I nearly had a nervous breakdown! Thank god for slings, breastfeeding and a teacher husband who had a school holiday in the middle of if all. It took less than 7 months for our work (loft conversion, all decor, new walls, new floors, new windows, new garden, new doors, knocking down walls, building walls, new ceilings, new kitchen, bathroom... And lots more!) although the bulk took place in 5 months. For us we didn't have the option of family to stay with and I couldn't face renting and moving twice (whilst pregnant and with a newborn) hence deciding to live in. Plus we couldn't afford to but the finished article or the extra cost of rent etc. So we had to do it this way.

It was like ripping a bandage off really and I'm so happy with the end result (bar a few small finishing touches we can take our time over) but I agree with Piaf, it's not easy and if you can afford to get someone you can trust to bounce ideas off that would be great. Literally every evening my husband and I talked only about the house whilst the newborn slept on my lap! Thankfully my little girl has been an angel baby. In fact I called the house renovation her evil twin as it gave me far more trouble than she ever has!!

PS: we went a little over budget but not much. I asked for discounts with everyone and every company that we used - big or small, I got trade price several times just by asking. It really really pays to haggle and I think is the reason we only went a little over. We also kept an ongoing spreadsheet to manage costs so we knew if we eg overspent on the kitchen we would need to spend a bit less on the carpets and so on. Think this kind of budgeting is crucial if you can't afford for costs to spiral. Similarly as we managed it ourselves, getting the order of works in place (and keeping on top as things inevitably change) really helps things move along. Again we managed to get finished pretty close to our original plan - and think this was down to me being obsessed that we had to achieve the timings we wanted, you need to be on at everyone to get things done quickly but I was ultra motivated living in said building site!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am a local architect based in Peckham Rye/Goose Green are. I've just set up my own practice last year (after working for other people for 14 years!) and I would be very interested in helping you with a job like this. You can find out a bit more about me at www.massingbird.com.

Regards,

Jonathan Fisher

I am really interested in this thread as I have also moved into a 'project' which needs fundamental work (rewire, new roof, new windows, total redec etc) as well as a rear extension. We have been told by a number of friends with experience in planning, design etc that we do not need an architect as an architectural technician/ design service will be able to make plans of our ideas for a much cheaper rate; we do not need design ideas just plans that are acceptable to planning and building control. I am around ('not working' ie. just with 2 kids to look after!) so it has been suggested that we do not need to have a project manager as a good builder will build from the drawings and the design service or builder will liaise with planning/building control.

We had decided this seemed to be the most sensible way to do things, but having just met with an architect whose practice designs, liaises with planners, does building control plans and liaision, has a panel of builders and will also project manage on an hourly rate (eg. 1 hr/wk to ensure things are on track) this sounds very very tempting particularly given we have absolutely no idea about building, planning etc - maybe we should leave it to the experts...?

I am still waiting for the architect to quote so I have a feeling the decision may be taken out of our hands: ?500 for drawings/ techinician or ?5000 for architect?! (random figure for architects fees, i have absolutely no idea how much they will charge!)

We will be living in the house for the duration of all works.

If anyone has recommendations for an architect, architectural technician or builder we could talk to, it would be appreciated (nb. we are in Bromley), along with any thoughts on whether it would be worth us instructing architects.

Hello,

I run a local innovative architecture practice and am sure we would be able to help you.

I would be happy to meet for a free consulation if you are interested. What we will be able to offer that a builder or technician won't is a scheme that makes your budget work harder for you and come up with designs that best suit how you want live and not just draw what is quickest and easiest. Ultimately it depends on your aspirations for the house - but I firmly believe that a good architect will give you better value for money and a much better house.

You can check our work out at:

www.selenckyparsons.com

Many Thanks,

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your responses. It's quite overwhelming trying to decide what is the best way to go.

We have addressed some of the pressing concerns and our focus is now turning to the roof. We need a new roof and have been trying to decide whether to put in a loft conversion whilst we're at it to future proof the house. We currently have one child but are hoping for another at some point. The house is a standard 3 bed terrace and we've had a couple of loft conversion companies come to give us quotes. Each one has said we should do an L-shaped dormer on to the outrigger as the additional cost compared to a single dormer is worth the investment. We don't like the look of l-shaped dormers but apparently it's the norm and "everyone is doing it these days". Our intention is to stay in the house for 20+ years so increasing the value for a quick return isn't our priority. We want to make a wise investment in our home to cater for our growing family in the future, whilst maintaining the integrity of the original building.

I know nobody can make the decision for us but it would be good to get peoples opinions & experiences.

Thanks.

Edited for typo

Having been through a loft conversion which was a truly painful experience, I'd definitely recommend getting an L-shaped dormer if you're planning on having the work done in the first place. The marginal cost is certainly justifiable (provided you can afford it, of course), and it does open up the space much more than just the one room (having been into both kinds of lofts). Plus the extra room will be invaluable if you're planning on staying there in the long term and will have 2 kids. We use ours as a study right now and it's brilliant.