DKH Headteacher has left - implications for choosing schools?

Grotty

Just heard from friends whose son is at Dog Kennel Hill that they received a letter saying that for personal reasons the headteacher would not be returning in January and would be temporarily replaced by one of the deputy heads, Wayne Cooper. I'm not here to speculate on why she left and obviously hope everything is ok. We are in the process of applying for primary schools. DKH is our first choice school, for many reasons, and we assume a lot of the things we like about it are down to the headteacher. So, what does her leaving mean for the school? Should we be rethinking our choices? Is it a risk to stick with the school? or will the school most likely stick along the same lines its on now?

I wouldn't worry about re-thinking your choices at this moment, although of course it must be a worry. Obviously the parents, teachers and Governors have been informed before the Xmas break, so your friends will probably be able to tell you more in the New Year when the school re-opens.

Hi - probably he will make a good fist of it. In terms of the leadership at the school, if they manage to get a good and active deputy to replace him in turn then things might even be better in the longer term, although change is something to be wary of. In terms of school applications, you should be aware of the impact of distance and the illusion of choice as distance tends to be the only selection thing unless you have a sen/statement or a sibling there.

Try going to http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm to calculate your flat/house distance to the schools nearby and use this to see which areas you fall into at http://datacollator.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/primary-schools-around-east-dulwich.html, which was created by trefford21 from the forum.

1 edit for grammar

In our experience with DKH over the last two and half years, Wayne Cooper is a fantastic presence in the school and would very likely be an excellent new Head Teacher, if given the opportunity. We're certainly confident that he will do a fine job in the interim.

I had heard there was an emergency meeting at the end of term, had no idea what it was about though.

It would be brilliant for the school if Wayne Cooper were to be head permanently. He is an amazing deputy head and teacher who turned my (now year 9) sons schooling around in his last year there. So much so that he spends a lot of his spare time now helping there! I would go so far as to say he would be a better head than Linda Ewers in my opinion.

As Zaarvark said though, please don't hold out too much hope on one school, we live a 4 minute walk from DKH and my daughter didn't get in 3 years ago on distance. Keep your options open, we are extremely happy with the school we were given and we knew nothing about it when we were first offered it.

Thanks for the comments. I'm aware of changing catchments etc and if the catchment this coming year is the same tiny 280+m it was 3 years ago, then we wouldn't get in. However we are close and it was easily our favourite local school, so putting it first was a no-brainer - at 400m away we are hopeful that if we don't get in during the first round, we may have a chance on the waiting list. My post was just about asking for advice on whether recent events should make us re-think that. It sounds from you and from talking to other people, that Wayne Cooper is great, and therefore no reason to be concerned.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe the 2013 SATS results for DKH were a factor in this situation? The DKH results seemed alittle low with 64% students achieving level 4 in reading, writing and maths while in comparsion most East Dulwich schools gaining over 70% (i.e. St. John's 72%, Goose Green 77% and Bessemer 87% ) of students achieving level 4.

A headmistress leaving a school just because of SATs results? Their results (SATs) did seem a little low but you have to go back a few years or so to look at other schools and their results and what they're achieving now etc.

All schools have a deputy head but that doesn't mean they will replace the Head teacher (unfortunately).

Usually a completely new person is brought in.

I have heard that it is directly related to the SATS results. The deputy head is definitely taking over, unsure whether it is temporary or permanent, but he will be mentored by Dame Sylvia (?) Morris who apparently has a strong background in supporting schools that need help...

Gosh. I'm new to the whole primary school thing as my kids are only now approaching school age, but I'm shocked a head would be put or go on leave from one set of KS2 scores which don't seem awful. Does that really happen or is there more to it?! When I initally read this post it didn't affect my putting Dog Kennel down as one of our top choices but if the departure of the head is due to SATS that does make me think twice.

Schools are about far more than one person and there can be any number of reasons for a drop in SATs. Head always seemed like a perfectly decent person, with the childrens interests at heart, to me. Adding grist to the rumour mill isn't going to help the school or anyone's child is it? If you are directly affected or genuinely worried why not just speak to the school.

I am very new to the school system so 1) know very little and 2) want to make sure that i'm not missing something when choosing a school for my child. I am directly affected and genuinely worried but felt that speaking to the school directly would surely give me a slightly biased opinion on what the future holds. I have seen the letter sent to parents about their plan and what support they are going to have. Instead I started this post, not as a thread for gossip and rumour, but I was just looking to see if anyone could offer advice on what the implications of a changing head might have on any school and whether we should be rethinking our primary choices at this late stage.

Thank you for starting this thread, Grotty. I have a first child due to start school in September and have found it reassuring to hear from parents with children in the school that the transitional headteacher is well regarded and supported. I like DKH for many reasons and, like you, one of them was Linda Ewers. Very often schools (like companies) have their culture established and by the head. Any insight existing parents can give on what the departure means for the school's prospects (and it may well be that most think 'nothing to see here; business as usual') is very welcome.