WTD: recommendation for a CBT for adult anxiety ....

Cora

I think you can self refer for CBT?

I have had anxiety issues for years and still do but CBT really helped. It is something I have learned to live with and if ever it is bad the CBT techniques are really valuable.

Meditation/mindfulness also useful to help focus on the moment rather than what may or may not lie ahead. I was recommended this book by the Maudsley where I have had CBT, it is very easy to read and will strike a chord if you do suffer from anxiety:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Worry-Cure-worrying-start-living/dp/0749927240/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388353889&sr=1-1&keywords=the+worry+cure

I hope you feel better soon

Thanks for all your advice and pm's, really appreciated....I have been referred for CBT at Maudsley but have been told it can take months...feels like being physically ill and waiting months before getting the antibiotics needed! Would think it's more likely to be effective if caught early instead of spiralling...it's all new to me but have found acupuncture with Dan at Healthmatters very helpful....

Lochie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think you can self refer for CBT?

>

> I have had anxiety issues for years and still do

> but CBT really helped. It is something I have

> learned to live with and if ever it is bad the CBT

> techniques are really valuable.

>

> Meditation/mindfulness also useful to help focus

> on the moment rather than what may or may not lie

> ahead. I was recommended this book by the Maudsley

> where I have had CBT, it is very easy to read and

> will strike a chord if you do suffer from

> anxiety:

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Worry-Cure-worrying-start-

> living/dp/0749927240/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qi

> d=1388353889&sr=1-1&keywords=the+worry+cure

>

> I hope you feel better soon

I completely agree with Lochie. After having my daughter 2 years ago, I suffered quite bad anxiety attacks and was referred to the Maudsley but didn't have to wait too long for an appt. Had sessions every 2 weeks for around 6 months. The information, advice and tools given to me were invaluable. Like Lochie, I still suffer now and again but I can deal with it and carry on with my life. I was also advised to read The Worry Cure which is good to read through.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for your referral. Either way I have no doubt it will be worthwhile. Good luck and feel better soon :)