Adenotonsillectomy - 4 year old child

nbb

Hi

My almost four year old son is having an urgent adenotonsillectomy performed next weekend. I had one myself as a teen, so I know what it's like for an adult. Has anyone on the forum got a child who had one at this age? He'll be four in March. I was just hoping to talk about recovery and what that's like for that aged child and how you prepared them and anything else you can tell me about what it was all like.

Thanks!

My daughter was coming up to 4 when she had the same surgery. She had it at St Thomas' and went to a pre op clinic where a play therapist showed her the anaesthetic mask/ drip etc. I'm not sure how much she remembered when it came to the day however. They also recommended that we read books about hospital (i.e. Tim goes to hospital - from Topsy and Tim series) and make a special trip to get a dressing gown / slippers etc.

On the day, there is a bit of waiting around as you have to arrive early but the hospital have lots of toys to keep them occupied. I don't remember the fasting being too much of a problem as we arrived at 7am and went down about 11.

Immediately after the surgery she woke up screaming. It was horrible, but realised that all the children coming back from surgery were doing the same thing. I think it was just the shock of waking up somewhere strange and perhaps related to the anaesthetic. 20 minutes later she was drinking and eating and an hour later running around the ward! I think usually you have to stay overnight but as my husband is a doctor, they let us go the same day.

She did have quite a lot of pain afterwards (which is normal), for around 2 weeks. This included night time waking when the medication wore off. Just have to have the calpol ready for this and my daughter settled very quickly again once dosed up. Usually they will need to take antibiotics as well as regular pain killers for 2 weeks.

Had a 5 week old and a son who came out in chicken pox the following day which added an extra challenge! However, don't regret it at all. Having had either tonsillitis or a chest infection almost every 2 weeks from the age of one, I don't think she has needed any antibiotics since.

Happy to talk to you if you need more info.

Hi,

My daughter had same operation at a similar age (she was just turned 4), her recovery was very quick - some pain and discomfort for a few days afterwards but perfectly well managed with painkillers (paracetamol and ibuprofen). In terms of preparation we read 'Goodbye tonsils' and ' Going to hospital' I think I still have the usbourne 'Going to hospital', PM me your address and I can pop it through your door tomorrow if that would help?

It's pretty horrible having your little one go through a general and have pain afterwards but the team at St Thomas' we were under were great.

Good luck x

Our then just 5 year old boy had this last year and Julie,s post is all spot on. I stayed in overnight with him but we left the next day. Alternated cal-poll and ibuprofen really regularly with a chart as they stressed keeping on top of the pain so as they eat properly etc to help healing of wound.....even crisps rather than the ice cream that I got with it when I was 6. Good luck.

Where are you having it done? My 6 year old daughter had the op (plus grommets) at Evelina children's hospital (part of St Thomas) at the end of October, and she just had her follow up appt today. The consultant in charge of ENT there is trialling a new technique which has a much better recovery time/less pain/ less risk of bleeding than a traditional tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy. My daughter had the new technique and was pretty much back to normal 2 days later - she had painkillers for 4 days and was back to school a week later - I was astounded by how quickly she recovered. Happy to chat via PM if you want to know more.

I had my adenoids removed when I was 4, and remember it being a huge adventure :)

I stayed in hospital overnight, my parents didn't stay (this was in NZ, 1979, possibly more of a "she'll be right mate" attitude than there is now/here). I still have the colouring book that I got to take with me.

My tonsils were removed when I was 26, and it was horrible. Day surgery, me and 7 kids aged 8 and under in the recovery area, them running round like nothing had happened and me pleading for morphine...

I hope it goes well. Definitely sensible having them dealt with young x

Wow there's a right little community of the tonsil-less out there :)

Thanks very much everyone, this really helps. Yes, it is Evelina he's having it done - such an amazing hospital with amazing staff! And I've just found a bit of literature online about that new method they're using there and it does indeed sound a lot easier on the child in terms of recovery.

Thanks again.

That's great - you son will be in excellent hands. I was so impressed by the care of Daniel Tweedie and his team and was astonished by the speed of my daughter's recovery. Wishing you and your son all the best for the op.

nbb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wow there's a right little community of the

> tonsil-less out there :)

>

> Thanks very much everyone, this really helps.

> Yes, it is Evelina he's having it done - such an

> amazing hospital with amazing staff! And I've

> just found a bit of literature online about that

> new method they're using there and it does indeed

> sound a lot easier on the child in terms of

> recovery.

>

> Thanks again.