Nice places for a week on the South Coast in February

RichJ

We'd love go away this February half-term but the budget doesn't stretch to skiing or long-haul winter sun so we are instead contemplating a week in a cottage somewhere on the South coast. The theory is, notwithstanding the likely awful weather, bracing walks on the beach, exploring the local tourist attractions, nice country pubs etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a nice village or town where we could look for a cottage? Was thinking West Sussex, Hampshire or Dorset. Would ideally not have to drive as far as Devon or Cornwall. Our kids are two boys - 3.5 yrs and 20 months.

Thanks very much for any inspriation you may be able to give us.

Swanage and the isle of purbeck in Dorset is a lovely area. On the Jurassic Coast for fossil hunting, there's a ruined castle in Corfe Castle to explore & climb on & a steam train runs from Corfe down to the sea at Swanage. A few national trust places in the region for rainy days & it's not too far from the new forest either. Some lovely walks too if the kids can manage bits.

We stayed at this place just outside cambersands in november for the weekend and loved it, we stayed at the coast guard's lanten cottage, it was warm, cosy, had everything we needed including being fantastically close to the beach. Tey were happy to give us a flexible leave time so we had a full weekend of relaxing by the seaside.

http://besidetheseaholidays.com/coastguard-cottages-jurys-gap-camber-sands-east-sussex/

We've actually done a bit of an about-turn and are going to try Aldeburgh in Suffolk. It's the one bit of the UK I have never been to before and thought this would be a good chance to check it out. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

• 1 month later...
Just back from our week in Aldeburgh and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a similar type of holiday. Very nice cottage (used wwww.bestofsuffolk.co.uk), good selection of shops and restaurants in the town, long clean beach (although pebbles rather than sand), really pretty villages in the surrounding area and plenty to do with kids (castles, farm parks etc). Very happy with the choice and only 2.5 hours by car from ED.