Nursery at State schools and holidays

Susan

I've taken my kids out of school nursery during term time before. We just told them we'd be away, didn't ask permission because it's not compulsory for a child to attend. Only done it for day or so at a time but know others have done a full week. Do it whilst you can!

I did this at state nursery, didn't even occur to me to ask! Whole thing is not compulsory so just told them in advance. My son had peers who would take the odd day off if their parents felt they needed time out, was all very relaxed.

Yes it's very relaxed. My dad is coming tomorrow so I warned nursery my son will get to choose grandad or nursery time (pretty sure he'll pick grandad!) and same again on weds. Similarly I have taken him out for a day trip and when I thought he was tired one day, wouldn't hesitate to take him out for a holiday... Except wouldn't happen as teacher husband precludes such shenanigans.

We've taken our son out for a couple of days at a time to go away and see family etc, but planning to take a week off in May. Taking the view it's not compulsory and it's the last year we'll be able to do it before being limited to pricey and busy school holidays.

It might not be compulsory to attend a state school nursery but tell that to the parents who didn't get a place, only to find some parents who did being relaxed about it all.

Schools have to be strict I suppose as otherwise they would have no children attending the nurseries.

Minder, I think you're confusing nursery with reception - attendance at nursery has no bearing on getting or not getting a place in reception. We took our daughter out of nursery for 2 weeks as was our last chance of affording a big holiday (USA) - as far as I remember they were fine with it, but this was 5 years ago... I'd just communicate with them about your intentions - sure your child will develop in different ways on holiday which can be a slightly tenuous argument but might help!

Lots of people I know missed out on places at school nurseries which in some areas are very oversubscribed so I have to say I see where Minders coming from! Although I also agree, that at this age it shouldn't be a big deal to miss short periods from an educational perspective....