shy child starting ballet 3 classes into term

oimissus

I have got an opportunity to start my 4 year old at ballet tomorrow, but the term is 3 weeks in, would that be a problem? She is quite shy and reserved, would all the other children have chummed up already? She is keen to do ballet but I don't want her put off!

How lovely, I would encourage her to go and try it out. Ballet and Gymnastics can be brilliant confidence boosters for shy children (I am a qualified ballet and gymnastics teacher and was very active when I lived in Sweden).

Inreased body awareness and team building excerises can do wonders for children of that age.

Speak to the teacher before class if you get a chance and say that your little girl is abit shy and I am sure that the teacher will keep an eye out for her to ensure that she feels included.

You can also prepare your little girl by talking about how exciting that it will be, you understand if she feel shy and nervous, that is normal but that she might really enjoy it when she tries it out.

I had many little girls (and boys!!) that were really shy but by the end of term they had truly blossomed and enjoyed themselves.

Good luck!!

thanks everyone. I have having a real wobble about it! I think she thought that she'd be going with friends (though there may well be children she knows) but most people I know go on Saturdays which is out for us as she'd miss too many classes as we're away a bit at the weekend.

Could you have the first lesson as a 'taster', then pay for the course? Or would you have to pay for the whole course upfront?

Can you pitch the idea of meeting new friends to your daughter, so she won't be disappointed if there's no one she knows well in the class? Could you help her make friends by trying to arrange a playdate with another mum and child from the class? xx