Hand(s) in mouth

mima08

Hiya,

I am looking for some tips on to get my 3yr old to stop putting his hands in his mouth. He is not sucking a thumb- no, it's any (or all fingers), either hand, that continuously make their way into his mouth. No matter where we are, no matter what time of the day. It also includes sucking on gloves when out...

I have asked him if there was something in his mouth that was bothering him, but he says no. I am getting really bored of hearing my voice constantly saying take your hands out, and of course it is so very unhygienic...- any tips please?

thanks mx

Have you tried ignoring it and helping him to cherish all of his body, doing creative activities drawing round his hands, body, cutting out pictures of himself and getting him to fill or add in things that are missing or that he fancies e.g shoes, hands, gloves, hat, celebratory sash, etc...this might build his confidence

Thanks for the replies.

It is a bit frustrating - but my real concern is about him catching something nasty...I really don't think he's got any confidence issues: he's very lively, outgoing and very sociable. Loves being quite physical in his playing, too and does regularly "admire" himself in the mirror.

My friend's daughter spent two years up to the age of 3 sucking her favourite toy monkey's arm. She had about 10 so that when one got dirty they could replace it with another. Perhaps you can find a substitute? Or could he suck a bit that doesn't get dirty - wrist/ skin on top of hand? It's evidently giving him comfort/pleasurable in some way.

Both my children suck their fingers/thumbs and don't get ill very often *touches wood* so I wouldn't worry about that. Habits like this are hard to break. My daughter went through a stage of picking at the skin on her lips until they bled. I bought her a rabbit comforter to rub/suck which helped a bit in spite of her never being particularly attached to a soft toy.

Thanks for the reassurance re illnesses. I had to laugh today as we were at toddler rugby, he got major muddy hands and was less than impressed with the taste when he stuck them into his mouth,hahaha. The whole thing is pretty new, only started in the last month or so, even though he had given up his dummy during the day more than a year ago. Puzzling. Will try another comforter...

We've resorted to '.stop n grow' nasty tasting liquid painted on nails. Stopped our 3 yr old sucking his fingers in a few days, despite my reservations. Used in conjunction with reward chart and treats. Aloe Vera is apparently natural alternative, same theory.