Good books for reluctant readers?

My Year 3 daughter is a competent reader but just hasn't got into reading for pleasure (although I suspect she'll love it once she does). Even when we read to her, she doesn't seem to have the interest in longer chapter books - after a few nights she's lost interest. She kind of likes the Rainbow Fairies books but she's sort of spotted the repetition in the story format and has gone off them after a couple.

I've just discovered this set from the Oxford Reading Tree which she's really got into - there's another level too which we've just bought. The stories really grab her (mystery and a good historical aspect), one book leads to the next and the layout is great and she can read one in a single sitting, which is great. (And they're on offer at The Book People.)

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=408376&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&searchTerm=time+chronicles

Thought I'd post in case it helps anyone else. But also wondered if anyone else has had capable but reluctant readers at this age and found a book that worked for them?

Have you read any of the "Daisy and the trouble with..." books by Kes Gray. Mischievous but well intentioned heroine, nice big print, illustrations, funny. Niece who isn't a big reader loves them! THink the library has some... Also worth asking the librarians? esp if you can get to Dulwich library - the people who work in the children's library there are very well informed. Tales on Moon Lane in Herne Hill also has very knowledgeable staff, so could probably advise as well...

why not get a book about a subject that she is really interested in? my eldest started reading for pleasure only on spiderman and dinosaurs. I don't think all kids are into reading for pleasure by Year 3 - and some people never are.

Or Harry Potter - for us it was the turning point!

We have got a Daisy one, BeccaL - bought it ages ago - but maybe should try introducing it again. Although she also has a 'thing' about books with 'scratchy pages' i.e. normal paperback book pages. Book like school reading schemes with more shiny pages have more kerb appeal. (Fickle!!!)

Dulwich library is a good idea. Trying to avoid Tales on Moon Lane as afraid I'll spend a small fortune (again!)

SE22Mum - Trying to pin down what she's into is a bit hard. She's quite definite she's not a girly girl but not too sure what she is as isn't a tomboy either - kind of a normal bit of both. Think the mystery element of the Time Chronicles one work well for her. Suspect Harry Potter might be a bit too much - she struggles with long chapters and don't want to put her off it as I'm sure she'll come round to it. But I might try a bit of it as she did want to dress as Hermione at Halloween.

I'm quite happy for her not to be reading loads (and so is her class teacher) but want to try and keep her doing some and would rather it's something that's interesting.

I captured my reluctant reader with poetry books. There are some lovely ones out there for children. I also found mythology books and fairy tales were a big hit. One child had a series of simple nature and science books that he loved.

Dr Seuss has been a favourite with us for a long time, still are. We read them together nearly every night and my son is 9 - fun, inventive use of language, in essence many of them are poetry. Also echo the Liz Pichon recommendation - Tom Gates books. And Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.

Have you tried the Usborne series based on classic novels? Of course, they've been abridged and retold for kids. My children love them--especially the Dickens ones...David Copperfield, Oliver Twist, Great Expectations...you can get them on Amazon...http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Copperfield-Young-Reading-Series/dp/074608563X/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I think they've done a great job at distilling it down to a plot that grabs children -- and kids seem to immediately identify with the characters.

why not let her choose a comic front the cbeebies range? it's a mix of reading, drawing, activities etc. I find they work really well for promoting the idea of reading as fun. mine take theirs away on their own and pass a happy half hour or so.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm afraid my kids seldom get past the toys on magazines these days. Really annoying. I did buy some old Bunty / Mandy comics that she likes - short stories in a couple of pages. But a little harder to come by on an ongoing way.

Some Roahl Dahl are good for reading to her - but too long for her on her own. (She COULD read it - just doesn't get longer books.)

The Usborne classic books are nice but the school use them as their reading scheme so we were trying to push her through one after another - which kind of killed the pleasure.

I think all the suggestions are helpful and I may try taking her to the library and letting her look at different ones.(Up till recently, she was so NOT into reading, I'd given up on the library as it seemed like too much expectation on her.) I did get the Daisy book out at home and after I read a couple of chapters, she picked it up herself yesterday and read a few more - so small steps. But small steps better than none at all - so some success. Thanks!

nunheadmum, my oldest now well into her teens was a non-reader. I used to dispair like you that she showed no interest in reading (I love reading!). Did similar to you, library visits, buying books in hope she would be interested. To no avail. I remember particularly gruelling pre-bedtime sessions reading James and the Giant Peach to her. The relief we both felt when the book was done was palpable!

I am not going to say that she now loves reading, but she has a GCSE English Language under her belt (taken a couple of terms early) and will be sitting her GCSE English Lit this summer and is studying Steinbeck and Priestley :) She is perfectly literate and is actually a good writer and linguist. However she still doesn't read much.

Please don't worry too much that your daughter is not an avid reader. Looking back I wish that I could have relaxed a bit more and not tried to push her into liking stuff that I did when I was young. I suppose we all wish that our children are like us, share the same interests but life is not necessarily like that.

If your daughter is anything like mine, she will take an interest when it suits her - I remember a stint of 'extreme reading' when she read all of the Noughts and Crosses series one after the other, reading 24/7. Another time it was the entire Twilight series. I remember thinking then that I wished she would STOP reading and do something else lol. Good luck!

Beano and Dandy are big hits in my house - not exactly great literature but it is reading and the format makes it easy. Tin Tin and Asterix similarly. My son started on them and my daughter now loves them too. Re reading their dad's old Beano annuals from from 1980s and a subscription to the comic.

Pippi Longstocking?

I find Rye Books has a different querkier range too - there is a nice adventure series about 2 children with super short chapters that weer helpful in bridging the post ORT gap for my children - apologies have forgotten what they are called - but the man in Rye books is most helpful.

Bornagain - thanks for your message. I recognise that bedtime feeling!! I think we may have similar girls. The teacher says she engages well with reading in the class and she absolutely adores writing. So I'm sure she'll come around to it on her own terms.

Katgod - will try Rye Books and see what they have. Adventure series sounds like my daughters kind of thing.

Thanks to all for the suggestions - hope it's helping others too.

Just snuck in and found one- Magic Tree House series by Mary POpe Osborne, there are 3 or 4 in the series. My daughter is a good reader but they bridged the post ORT gap and a friend's dyslexic son a bit older found them great for building

confidence. Also Amazing Esme and little house on the prairie and anything not about fairies or animals is what my daughter likes,!!!

• 1 month later...
My son also used to love reading comics when he was in the early years of primary school, and his teachers said it was better than not reading at all! We're selling my son's Beano and Dandy annuals from 1998 - 2004- ?1 each or 6 for ?5, and also have lots of Beano, Dandy and Simpsons comics at 20p each or 6 for ?1, if anyone is interested....