Thoughts on nanny with own child

astrid83

I'm a mum to a 7 month old boy and have some questions regarding working as a nanny accompanied with your own child.

I did a lot of nannying up to 2009 and it just recently occurred to me that this might be something I could do now instead of finding employment in central London and putting my son in to nursery. I wouldn't want to do it full time, but maybe two days per week or 20 hours per week?

Do any of you have any experience of this? Either employing a nanny with their own child or working as a nanny with your own child tagging along?

How much would I expect to earn? I understand it would be a lot less to what nannies without children earn.

Thoughts please!

We employed a nanny with her own child when my son was in reception. Her daughter was a couple of years younger, I did the school drop off and she did pick up/ worked until about 6:30 or 7pm.

Probably the pay wasn't great for her during term time (because of limited hours), but we paid more in school holiday time, and she got lots of one on one time with her daughter during the day in term time, so worked well. I suspect it might not work so well on a fill time basis as parents might be suspicious that you would tend to prioritise your own child?

I think if not full time should be ok and when your child is older could be a bonus as there is a ready made playmate. Tho some friends of mine did it for a couple of years and both found it exhausting. I think one because her daughter felt that she always had to share her mum with someone else, and that made her feel guilty. but on part time basis should be better.

We had a childminder who looked after my son and her own son from when they were both about 1, initially for 2 days a week and then 3. From our point of view it was amazing because the boys had such fun together and she was brilliant at taking them to playgroups, parks etc. Our son also had lots of individual attention because she wasn't looking after any other children. I think it was probably pretty tiring for her sometimes and not highly paid but it allowed her to be at home with her own son. The boys are still good friends. Then we happened to both have daughters a couple of years later so with the boys in nursery she looked after the two girls who had a great time together too. To be a childminder rather than a nanny you operate from your own home and need to be registered but maybe you would feel more in control of your own destiny? And the other child would get dropped off and picked up rather than you having to get over to someone else's place.

I have just started working as a nanny with my 11 month old looking after one of my friends 1 year olds. I absolutely love it, I'm so glad I've decided to do this as the babies get on so well and I think it's of real benefit to both of them. We have so much fun. It is tiring but in a really good way and I am really fortunate as I get on really well with the parents and we are very like minded which I think helps a lot. When I was first thinking about it, I started to ask what others thought and instantly got other parents who were interested. I think people are really keen if they know you before hand our if you meet in a play group and your a familiar face. I only do part time. I love the fact that I can earn money and still be with my child.