Help - nursery&childminder combined: too confusing for baby?

Hi families,

I need your help/opinion on something.

We are thinking (because of availability of days, not because of our own choice) of sending our little one to the childminder 2 days and to nursery 1 day..

On your experience will it be too confusing/upsetting for a baby?

He'll be 1 when he starts, so not too young, but he is very sensitive and a bit shy so I want to take the decision that is the least 'shocking' for him.

Sometimes I think exposure to loads of different people might actually help him and 'toughen him up' but sometimes I think it might just shock him..

Opinions please

Thanks for reading

How about just having a childminder who will take him to different playgroups and activities so he is still exposed to larger groups on the background of a smaller, cosier environment of childminding? It'll probably be easier for you too, rather than switching from one to another during the week. Keep him on nursery waiting lists if you can, as once he is 2+ he may prefer the social aspect of a nursery environment.

We started our son in nursery one day a week when he was one and he didn't really settle until we upped it to two days. I think he just didn't really have time to get into the nursery routine when he was on one day a week. A friend of mine whose son was also doing one day nursery, two days childminder, took her son out of nursery in the end as he just didn't settle. All children are different of course, but my feeling is that consistency and routine are important at that young age.

I don't think that it would necessarily be confusing to split the childcare. The important thing is that there is stability rather than everyday being the same. When I returned to work after baby 2, aged about 9 months, she and her then 3 year old sister did 3 days of nursery and 1 day with a nanny. This has worked really well for them and us for various reasons including availability of nursery days, reducing the hassel of drop-off/ pick-ups and giving them more time at home with each other.

My experience was similar to what others are saying. we had 2 half days at nursery from 13 months to 2.5years and a childminder 3 days. We kept her at nursery as it was such a lovely place with very caring staff but with the benefit of hindsight we really shouldn't have. 5 days away each week was a long time for such a little one and she never really settled. The difference when we moved her to the school nursery was astonishing...