Tips for hiring a nanny?

NigelG

Hi,

I'm looking into hiring a nanny for our twin boys, and wanted some advice on how to go about this. I haven't hired a nanny before, but there seems to lots of parents on here that have nannies already :)

Specifically, how do you find a good nanny? Do you use personal recommendations, agencies or just go through sites such as childcare.co.uk and vet them yourselves. The main thing is that we want a nanny that is CRB checked etc, and how would we verify that? Hopefully I don't sound too paranoid..

Thanks in advance.

You are not at all paranoid, it is a massively important decision.

I hired our current and first nanny last summer, so I'm not hugely experienced, however I would say cast your net far and wide. You might not get any response (or, more accurately, any suitable response!) from various approaches so don't put all your eggs in one basket. Give yourself lots of time to choose and be prepared to interview lots and lots of nannies. Also, be very very clear about what you want/need, not just days and hours, but specific tasks and routines, do you need a driver etc. remember as well that the nanny is interviewing you as much as the other way round, it has to work well for everyone. It's fine to cut an interview short (politely of course) if you know they aren't right, otherwise you could find yourself wasting hours.

Best of luck

Hello,

Try nannyjob.co.uk

Simplychildcare.com

Agency fees are high and you can save a lot of money by doing the search yourself. Be very clear about what you expect and want from a nanny. Don't forget to workout the cost including tax before advertising, you can do this with the help of Mr Anchovys tax calculator (Google it). Also the board on here is very good.

For references ask for email and home addresses as well as contact numbers, I know of a few nannies that have friends pretend to be previous employers.

Hope this helps

I used Gumtree which surprisingly got us several good candidates. Simply childcare also is meant to be good. Look around at other people's ads and this should help you shape ideas of what you want and then write your own job spec. So much is chemistry and gut feel as well, which you can't really work out until you meet them. I've got twins as well and I don't think it's essential that the nanny have twins experience, but I'd definitely want someone who had managed more than one child before. Ofsted registration is the easiest way to go about ensuring that they have the DBS (what CRB is now called) and it also helps indicate that they have a good understanding of professional requirements of being a nanny. Also for me was needed for childcare vouchers. but ofsted reg not essential and if you don't want to insist on it just request the DBS - and I think fair for you to pay. Good luck

• 2 years later...
If you?re on the lookout for a good nanny, then you should seek help from a reputable agency for nanny in London. The people from these agencies surely know the qualities of an ideal nanny. Furthermore, they will consider your requirements so you can hire the right person, especially if you are looking for a registered one. Hope this helps!

If you?re on the lookout for a good nanny, then you should seek help from a reputable [agency for nanny in London]. The people from these agencies surely know the qualities of an ideal nanny. Furthermore, they will consider your requirements so you can hire the right person, especially if you are looking for a registered one. Hope this helps!