Campervan

jollymummy

Do any forumites own a campervan and can you tell me is it practical with two small kids, 5 and 2 years?

We (I say we but my hubby is yet to be convinced) are considering either buying or converting a van as thinking of ways to travel Europe and keep the costs down now that we are tied to school holidays.

We own one, a vw T2 bay window camper. We have had it for about 5 years I think.

They are lovely to own and we have had real pleasure from it. But we have found with a very young baby we didn't use it as much. Our son is 2 now but we are expecting another, we want to camp a lot this year so decided to go for a newer van. Basically there is less prep involved per trip and we tend to do short trips.

But with your ages I would have thought a vintage van would be brilliant! You need to be prepared for some upkeep though, they are old vehicles and need to be looked after, I think that's why everyone ends up naming them and treating them like extended family rather than simply as a car.

If you decide to go the vintage vw route then we will be selling ours in the spring. You would be welcome to come and have a look at it, though we aren't ready to let go yet I think.

But do look into converted vans - if you are willing to go for something less attractive then your options are much greater.

Also have a look on as many online forums as you can to get lots of impressions and gauge how it might fit in with your family.

It's something we've been thinking about recently too. We thought about hiring one for a week this summer and seeing how well it works for us as a family. I was walking down Upland Road the other day and saw three campervans in the street which are owned by a hire company called Dub Dub and Away (they've got a website). May be worth checking out?