Rosemead

KattyKit

I would be really grateful to hear other parent's views of Rosemead.

I recently visited and had quite a few concerns, particularly with regard to the nursery and the lack of space. To be honest I had quite a negative reaction to the school but the children all seem very happy and they obviously get good results. I would be really grateful to hear other parents thoughts.

Please pm me if you wish.

Thanks,

• 10 months later...
Hi - I wanted to revive this post, as we are thinking of sending our daughter to Rosemead in September (into Y3). I would be really interested in any views (good or bad) from parents with children there, especially in the (slightly) older years. Please PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks!

I am also keen to hear from Rosemead parents as my daughter has been offered a place at both Herne Hill School and Rosemead for 3+. We are struggling to make the decision as I was impressed buy Herne Hill but don't relaly like the idea that she will have to change schools at 7 and go through the exma process.

I was just reading through the ISI reports last night and Herne Hill's is really glowing while Rosemead gets lots of 'good' ratings but no 'outstanding's. It seems like there were concerns about the most able students not always being pushed enough and the assessments not really being put to good use in planning the work for the children. Does anyone know if this has improved, as the report was from 2010, I believe?

Also, the pre-prep seemed rather dark and gloomy. Are there any plans to try to refurbish it further?

We really liked Rosemead but had these concerns and I don't know any children at Rosemead so can't ask the opinion of anyone outside the EDF.

I would be grateful for both positive and negative experiences/opinions through this message list or PM.

Many thanks!

Sorry, typing on my phone is not my greatest joy, so l make it short.

I am a rosemead parent, former herne hill parent.

When l' e sent my kid to rosemeD years ago, l really disliked the school.

Now she he left successfully l can truly say, it was a good choice.

Lots of things l didn't like were facilities, tiny playground...

But facilities have improved, playground never bothered the kids, they felt secure at school, made good friends,

teachers were good.

The 'new' head improved the school in many areas, the kids left with amazing results after year 6.

And compared to HH it felt less stressful as they have exams in y6 and not y2.

BIG difference.

I hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this isn't too late - I've only just seen the thread.

I have 3 kids at Rosemead - Year 6, year 2 and Nursery.

The first thing i would say is that the nursery is fantastic. There are two class rooms that all the nursery children use, and although the outside space around the class rooms is quite small, they are normally using the classrooms at the same time, so they do't have all the kids out there at the same time. Also, they often use the big playground. plus, the kids are little! they don't need acres of space.

My daughter, who is in the nursery was incredibly clingy before she started there - wouldn't leave my side, but she has flourished and absolutely loves it. She skips into school every day and is very keen to go full time as she enjoys it so much.

The pre prep years are fantastic. Its very nurturing, and the kids are very happy.

Mrs Everitt, head of pre-prep is brilliant.

Year 3 upwards gets a bit more serious, and sometimes I think its too serious, but then they need to get the results and it is a prep school, parents want the results so I guess it has to be.

Yes, I think I thought the classrooms at elmcourt were a bit dark when we first started, but I don't think it matters a bit.

There are plans in place to develop both sites which I haven't seen, but I've heard they look really good.

The thing that I like most about Rosemead are the kids - they are really lovely children, who are happy, polite and really kind to each other across the year groups.

Oh, also, lovely parents with a really good community around it.

Hope that helps.