Quick question re car seats.

Audrey

I probably should know... But I don't. We don't have a car, but have car seats for car hire, Nanas car etc etc. It's been months since we have been in a car and I'm wondering of the baby (11mo) will still be ok in the 1st stage car seat. By that I mean the backward facing one, it's a maxi cosy, the one that clips into a buggy if that helps.

I put him in it today and he seems fine. His head doesn't poke out the top (ie there is "car seat" visible above the head cushion thing). OH is concerned that in a car setting his legs will be squished and he'll yell for the next journey he does, which will be in a couple of weeks and it will be a 90 min journey.

Also while I'm asking questions, any specific recommendation for a next stage seat?

Thank you!

Rear facing is safer but you have to take into account the range of risks. We moved my LO into a forward facing car seat as soon as possible because he screamed every time he was in the car, for very prolonged periods. So although rear facing is safer if you have a crash the chances of me crashing into something were much higher when he was rear facing because driving was so stressful. He was happier immediately in a forward facing. Is there anyway you can do a short trial run to see how cross he gets? Maybe ask a local friend if they'll drive you about for 10 mins?

It really depends on the size of him. From a weight perspective he should be ok in the maxi cosi you have as long as under 13kg. The next stage car seats start at 9kg. It is safer for him to be rear facing, for bth his stage 0 and stage 1 seat however practicalities often prohibit this in a stage 1 seat. From what you have described it sounds as though he should be ok, ie head not at the top. I've just had to move my long 9mo into a forward facing seat. Incidentally he hated his rear facing seat, he hates his forward facing one too... I have a spare stage 1 seat you can borrow if needed.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I think he will be ok for this trip in the existing, but will get a forward facing one for the next time. I can totally see that rear facing is safer, but I don't think it would go down well as his elder sister already has a forward facing.

Totally agree that safer often equals where they are least likely to cause stress and distraction.