Facebook group for local breastfeeding caf?s / milk spots ?

Strawbs

Am not aware of one but I know Lambeth is slightly different in that ALL issues with breastfeeding are dealt with in the Milk Spots rather than by community midwives, so perhaps they have funding for social media presence?

La Leche League South East London is more Southwark/Lewisham based and they have a Facebook and web page.

Is it info about the caf?s or online help that you need? Or anything else? Perhaps someone on this forum knows?

Thanks both.

Cornelia - more just an up to date list of where local things are happening. I am due in 4 weeks with my second and breastfeeding didn't go easily nor well last time so I am looking in to private lactation consultants who can come to my house once the baby is born but also local groups I can visit to get some support when needed.

Thanks x

Strawbs, I wholeheartedly recommend Peckham Cafe (Thursdays 10-11.30, but get there early as possible). I wouldn't of carried on breastfeeding if it hadn't of been for the midwives there! Highly professional, knowledgable and sympathetic. I struggled for 2 months with a baby that fed constantly but was never content or latching well, being seen by midwives at home who recommended against breastfeeding any longer. Finding out about Peckham cafe in particular changed our lives, and breastfeeding became easier and more relaxed from the first time we attended. I continued to go until my daughter was 6 months old and then I trained for Southwark PCT as a volunteer and went on to give my time to both Peckham and Dulwich cafes. Its a brilliant resource, we are lucky to have it so close!

The midwifes and trained volunteers, sometimes health visitors too will work around the room. Generally they find out the problem, watch a feed, talk to you about how you've been getting on and then advise you one on one. Tea and biscuits too, usually. They can check for other issues such a tongue tie and can then refer on if necessary. Its a very informal drop in group.

To get the best from the session try and get there as early as possible, it can get very busy some weeks!

It's on the 5th floor in one of the pods.

Strawbs - I went to the Peckham BF cafe that Gina's mentioned (& remember meeting Gina there *waves*) & found them really supportive and reassuring when I was needing support regarding Bugglet's feeding (was v difficult to get her to latch & had to use nipple shields for first 9-12wks).

I found the Albrighton Centre cafe a bit of a lifeline back in the summer when little Speckle was a few weeks old. Like some others on here, I'd endured weeks of agonising feeds and by that point had read so much stuff online about how to latch your baby that the whole thing had become very muddled in my head and I felt I had missed the boat by not getting it sorted earlier. I found the health visitors at the cafe to be caring and reassuring. Meeting other mums who were also struggling also quickly dispelled the idea in my head that everyone else found it a breeze. Looking back it was the start of a turn around in our experience of breastfeeding. I only wish I had gone earlier.

Hi

In response to your post about private lactation consultants.... Neighbourhood Midwives offer private home visits, and we can assess for tongue tie and do that procedure too.

You can find more info at www.neighbourhoodmidwives.org.uk

feel free to PM me about it though - I'm the local Neighbourhood Midwife for East Dulwich

We're also in the process of starting a drop in clinic at the Vale near the station every other Tueday

really hope you don't have problems this time...

best wishes

Julie

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I caught up with my health visitor yesterday whilst getting the two year check and she told me about the albrighton centre and I am liking the sound of the Peckham cafe. I am now wondering if I do actually need someone to come to my home on top of those two places but I think I will do a quick ring around. Thanks again! X