Maternity Allowance - Keeping in Touch Days

lucyb

I was just wondering if there are any self-employed mums out there who with any practical experience of working whilst also claiming Maternity Allowance? I am a self-employed artist and at 31 weeks pregnant I am just about to send back my form to DWP to start claiming MA (I have already had confirmation from DWP that I am entitled, I just need to notify them of my last day of work).

My understanding is that if you are claiming Maternity Allowance you are allowed to work up to ten days ('keeping in touch days') during the MA period without losing your entitlement to MA, but there isn't much info in the DWP guidance or on the internet generally about how this works in practice. For example, do I have to notify DWP if I am going to be doing these ten days work (and at what point?), or do I just tell them if and when I go over my ten days? Can anyone shed any light on what sort of activities count as 'work' for these purposes? For example, if I am at home painting or drawing, does this mean I am 'working', or what about if I send emails, or is it if I sell a piece of work and actually collect money for it during this period?

I have received some free legal advice from an arts organisation on this topic, but they were only able to advise that a 'common sense approach' be taken as what I deem to be 'work' might be different to DWP's view. If anyone has any practical experience of how this works in practice I'd be most grateful!

I would say that what matters is what's produced on paper. You don't have a regular hours job so things will be more flexible with you I would say.

I worked theses days while claiming allowance.

I assumed I didn't notify because there was no bureaucratic procedure to do so through, and no instructions.

I also assumed that, like tax, they could investigate it either through their own or hmrc.

My job requires me to send invoices so I have a clear record of days I have worked.

So I would suggest think more on what kind of paper trail you throw up around your working life. And I would think they would only count the admin that surrounds you selling a painting as work, if you did the painting before?

I can't advise you on the painting at home, but it would only come down to proof, really..,

Mind you, I assumed id do much more than I ended up doing before my son was actually born! I could barely make a cup of tea after that happened (didn't nap during the day, wanted constant interaction)...

Hi, I employ myself through a limited company and am claiming SMP so slightly different situation. It seems to be a very fuzzy area but my accountant thinks I can make 10 days of takings at a rate that would be considered standard for someone in my industry. And I need to record these as 10 whole days work and have paper trail / invoices to support it if was investigated. So that's what I will do if I ever get a chance to do any work - with a demanding baby and a 3 year old I'm lucky if I get time to shower every day as yet! Hope this helps. Ive invoiced (& received payment for) work done before I went on leave, I'm not going to include that in the 10 days.

Hi, I'm also 31 weeks pregnant and just sorting out my form for Maternity Allowance. I'm a freelance writer so kind of a similar thing to you I suppose. I read that they count any part of a day that you work as one of your ten days but I wonder how they would know? I normally just do a few hours here and there when I get the chance. It's all a bit vague.

Sorry, I'm no help at all! But if you do find out more info I'd be interested to know!

Hi, I'm a freelance musician and had MA last year. It is hard to define and I would think very hard for anyone to prove when you worked. I haven't counted days just practising on my own at home but have of course counted paid concert days. Sorry that may not be very helpful... Good luck!

Thank you all - doesn't seem like there are any clear answers but this is all very helpful. I suspect the reality is that I won't be getting much work done at all anyway over the next few months, but it is good to know roughly what the rules are! Will let you know if I find out anything further of use.

The rule that if you've worked part of a day, it counts as a full day, is there to protect employed mums - so that the employer can't mess you around with bits and pieces of part days you feel obliged to do. When you are your own employer, you don't need protecting from yourself (usually!) so you should be fine mixing and matching part days f that's what you want to do.