news of interest re: doctors owning up to mistakes

Posting this in the 'family discussion' section for all who found childbirth traumatic, saw toxic NHS attention given to elders, suffered clumsy management of childhood illnesses, etc.

Many of us wanted to complain but only encountered closed ranks of medical professionals + impenetrable legal defences.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/mar/06/patients-mistakes-senior-nhs-doctors

Nap time and I have read the article.....makes a lot of sense and hopefully it will happen but I think it will take time to change from the current blame and defensive culture that exists. Unfortunately, healthcare is not an exact science and sometimes it will take a while for the diagnosis to be reached (my daughter has been on the receiving end of that) and the outcome may be worse as a result and rarely it will be missed altogether with devastating consequences. It's the limits of the system coupled by the fact that to err is human that accounts for some of the problems but I think honesty goes a long way.

ETA: there are several cases where healthcare professionals have tried highlight mistakes and serious failings (whistleblow) and have been bullied, threatened, vilified and dismissed. The people that you seen in clinics, wards, surgeries are really small fry within the organisation.