Sunscreen & Eczema

GinaG3

Most will remember my posts about severe eczema eruption last year with my daughter. I DO NOT want to get to the point where we are sedating her and using daily steroids. Its miserable to say the least. During the autumn we have battled hard to control with high strength topical steroids as soon as flares come and natural goat soap products. Her skin has been amazing and she has been much happier, less itchy, less irritable and has been sleeping well. We have not seen anythign like we saw last year. I found photos last night and was almost in hysterical tears at the extent of it.

Enter sun. A rash consistent with last year has started to appear up her neck and around her mouth. I emotionally and physically cant bear to deal with this again, it breaks my heart. We are currently in a very stressful situation where by we are soon to have no home, we are trying to keep this stress away from her but she does know we will be moving house. She seems excited about it all, 'its an adventure'. I don't think this is causing the eruption. I do believe it to be the sun.

Does anyone have any advice/experience with photosensitive skin? Last year we used no sunscreen but kept her covered in loose cotton/linen. Im thinking this year I will cover her in the highest strength UV & SPF sunscreen I can find. What is suitable for extremely sensitive skin, but effective? What do you use on your children with skin complaints? Preferably something natural with no harmful chemicals but I'm open to all suggestions. Anyone aware of prescription sun products?

This week I am going to beg GP for referral back to dermatology before this gets unbearable.

Any help GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for reading xxxxx

Aw, you have our sympathies.

My 4-year-old has eczema patches on the backs of her knees which are really flaring up at the moment, but whenever I use sunscreen it does seem to improve. I don't know if this is just seasonal/coincidence. We use L'Oreal Kids. It's the waterproof one, but I have sensitive skin too and never use waterproof sunscreen.

I'm no eczema expert but I do have sensitive and very sun sensitive skin. Most clothes, especially light summer ones, do not keep the sun's rays from the skin so if the sun is irritating her you will need to use a sunscreen. I use the isdn range which was recommended by a referral to a dermatologist.

My baby had terrible eczema last summer, with an elder sibling there was no way I could keep him out of the sun. I used Sunsense toddler milk and it was fine on his skin - it's also recommended for elder children. I discussed it with his dermatologist and she was happy for me to use Sunsense. His skin is no where near as bad as it was last year so hoping doesn't flare up in the heat/sun.

I have heard of people being prescribed sun cream on prescription.

Try ultrasun, no perfum, preservatives etc, great for sensitive and sun sensitive skin, not sure about eczema because we did not suffer that problem. It is not cheap but it is a once a day application so a bottle lasts a while. Qvc occasionally have good deals on it, you can get it at John Lewis and locally Dr Boo used to stock, not sure whether they still do. Was great for my daughter who was very sun sensitive.

Hi

I found Sunsense still bought my girls out in a rash after a few days use, theres a brilliant one by copper tone called water babies Pure & simple, its SPF 50 and broad spectrum, oil, fragrance and dye free. its only available online, you have to hunt it down but amazon uk often stock it in summer and also Neutrogena pure & free liquid sunblock spf 50 broad spectrum. comes in small bottles and is pricey but great for faces.