4 hour flight with a 4 month old - any top tips?

CocoC

Other than grin, bear it and hope for the best??!

She's still at an age where my husband and I are probably more entertaining than most toys but I'll take a couple in my hand luggage. I thought I would feed her around take-off and landing as I read that this can help relieve the pressure in their little ears. She will also be due a nap during the flight which I'm hoping she'll take on one of us but that might be wishful thinking as she's used to napping in her buggy or her bed. Is there anything else I need to think of or take? Thanks in advance to the knowledgeable mums of ED!

Don't worry, it's not as bad as you'd imagine. My son did his first flight at a very similar age & it was fine.

My top tip (aside from feeding on the way up & down) is to take a sling. This makes napping & soothing a lot easier. Also, allow more time than you think you'll need at the airport so that you don't feel rushed or stressed, if you're calm your baby is at ease.

Pickle, I don't envy you!

I also took my children on a great number of flights, first at 8 weeks, a change of clothes in your hand luggage is handy, ask for the lap belt as you get on, there is nothing worse than settling your child on your lap, they fall asleep and then the air steward m&s with the belt, you can't do it one handed. A new toy is also helpful, but at that age they mostly sleep or look around the plane. Give them something to suck on the way up and down. Good luck.

Thanks everyone!

Pickle - hats off to you. I can't imagine that!

Fragolina - thanks for that - I thought a sling might be useful. Funnily enough Easyjet recommend the same thing in their handy 'travelling with kids' leaflet online.

Strawbs and sands - hats off again!

Maria - top tip thank you!

Some airports (definitely Gatwick) have a family security section which allows you to avoid long security queues. We also check in the car seat and pram (in a pram bag) into the hold luggage, and use a sling through the airport and on board. Good luck - sure you'll be fine.

A sling is the best thing we take travelling. My 10 month old slept for nearly the whole flight on an 7pm 4 hour flight last autumn. Saves your arms getting sore and means you can read/eat/have a drink (or even a wee if desparate!) without disturbing them too much if they do nod off!