Flooring for family bathroom

LV0210

Hi,

I will be updating the family bathroom and would be grateful for any views and advice. Are porcelain tiles more suitable than natural stone such as slate or limestone? How about a rubber floor, does anyone have this in their bathroom? We plan to have underfloor heating. Don?t know if water or electric underfloor heating would be better in the bathroom.

Lastly, if you can recommend any places to purchase tiles that would be great.

Many thanks!

Hi There

I have just laid a rubber floor in my bathrooms and it looks great. I went for Noraplan Uni:

http://www.nora.com/uk/products-systems/floor-coverings/noraplan-sheet/showproduct/noraplan-uni/art-1461/6176/

If you are going for underfloor heating in a new build then the water system is best, but it is quite involved in terms of plumbing and manifolds etc and you need a bit of floor depth to accommodate it. The electrical matting systems are much thinner and easier to install in an existing house. Whilst not as efficient for a small room it is almost certainly not worth the effort of the water system unless you are doing other rooms as well.

For the rubber floor to look good you need the floor to be very flat so you would normally lay a latex screed underneath.

The rubber floor finish is only 2mm thick and so if you are replacing a tiled floor then you ought to be able to fit a membrane, screed the electrical kit and the rubber tiles all within the depth of what you are replacing so you avoid an annoying step up at the threhold to the bathroom.

I have some of the rubber floor tiles left (you have to buy in whole boxes) so depending on size of your bathroom it may be enough. If you are interested then drop me a PM.

If you want something similar but in a really wide range of colours(80 plus) Dalsouple's great. Hard wearing, comes in various thicknesses so maybe less of a flat floor issue... Used in Museums for areas of high footfall so tough stuff...

SEe: http://www.drfrubberflooring.com/dalsouple-rubber-flooring-all-products

http://www.clerkenwellflooring.co.uk/clerkenwell_flooring_manufacturer_dalsouple.shtml

We had originally specified dalsouple but we were told that they had stopped supplying small quantities for residential and were focusing on larger commercial contracts so that's when we switched to Nora which is a very similar product. I'm sure either would be great and if you can get hold of the dalsouple in a sensible quantity then go for it!

Senor Chevalier Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We had originally specified dalsouple but we were

> told that they had stopped supplying small

> quantities for residential and were focusing on

> larger commercial contracts so that's when we

> switched to Nora which is a very similar product.

> I'm sure either would be great and if you can get

> hold of the dalsouple in a sensible quantity then

> go for it!

What a shame!Good to know though - had it lined up for my kitchen - used to do it with sparkly bits and all sorts! That small Clerkenwell company seem to do it unless their site's out of date - but maybe only if you commission them to do the job?