Nantucket- anyone been?

ClareC

Is it child friendly? Any tips? Etc etc

I'm thinking about taking the kids to Disneyland (even though I can't think of anywhere worse, but I really wanted to go as a child and never did so want them to have that opportunity). We Would spend ad few days there and then move on somewhere more for us, Florida doesn't appeal, San Francisco I like but that means a long flight home so considering maybe a few days NY and then Nantucket for the beach/relaxing part.

Any tips / other suggestions welcome!

Thank you

We went to Nantuket a few years ago, pre-kids though. Not sure I'd recommend it for a visit of a few days as there's not much to keep you occupied. I found it a little "sterile" tbh. I would base yourself on Cape Cod itself and then do day trips. Lots more options then especially if it's not beach weather

Don't know if it matters to you, but Nantucket and Cape Cod are very expensive. Cape Cod less so, but still pricey. I remember Nantucket being very expensive (this was in 2003!). Some bits can be lovely and remote, but the main part of Nantucket is really full of high end restaurants, cafes, boutiques...There's definitely more stuff to do on Cape Cod, but remember both are summer "destinations" so hard to escape the crowds.

Nantucket can be expensive and a bit stuffy. Martha's Vineyard (the other island off of Cape Cod) is a bit more laid back and a bit bigger so more to do. There are lovely bike paths on the island with bike hire places in the 3 main towns. The beaches between Oak Bluffs and Edgartown are calm and good for smaller children. August is peak season there so can be very busy. Another option might be the outer banks in the Carolinas. It keeps you in the same general part of the country so avoids too much extra travel, flights from FL to NY/Boston are 2.5-3 hours. I had friends who used to go to Kiawah Island in SC with their 2 boys and always raved about it.

Friends went somewhere out there last year and found real problems getting into restaurants in the evenings - not many so were all booked ahead - so much that it ruined her holiday really as she had to do much more cooking than she had anticipated, and the supermarket wasn't particularly close, so spent a lot of time driving to/from to get food. Worth flagging up...