Homemade cakes, bespoke kids bday cakes, breads and more - would you be interested??

byngo

Dear ED forumites

I am a stay at home mum who loves baking and with my youngest starting school in September I have been thinking about trying to set up my own home baking business. What I wanted to gauge was whether there is a market for yummy home-baked cakes and breads and wondered if you might be able to give me some feedback.

I can make anything from your standard loaf or sponge cake to special occasion cakes and bespoke children?s birthday cakes.

I use only the best ingredients (organic if you prefer) and can make gluten free too.

I?ve attached a few pics of homemade birthday creations. To give you an idea, a basic loaf or sponge would cost around ?8-10. A large rich chocolate or carrot cake -?20. Bespoke bday cakes priced individually.

I was also thinking of offering a ?cake of the week? so I can bulk bake and offer those at slightly reduced rate.

I am also starting to make homemade bread. A recent winner is wholemeal multiseed Italian bread ? full of goodness but also totally yummy.

Is this something you think you would order? Only on a special occasion or on a weekly basis? Just before the weekend maybe?

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

If offering items for sale would you need to have your kitchen inspected and rated by the council? You may have already looked into this, but worth considering. There's also a lot of competition locally, I know of at least 3 or 4 other people that advertise on the forum, as well as others that don't.

I think it's a good idea though, so long as you really love baking, as your margins will be quite low. The bulk make of a cake of the week is a good idea.

Personally I would be unlikely to be a regular customer, but have previously used such services for bespoke cakes and one off orders for weekends when we have visitors.

Good luck x

Yur cakes look lovely ! However this is something that would be a one off order, or perhaps if lots of guests ...... But i have used the services for cake making from other forumnites who have advertised.

Not sure about the bread, this is something i buy when out and about, different bakeries / markets / and when needed.

I guess you could get a list of people who might want bread over a weekend, and then bake and deliver?

I used to order pies off someone from the forum, he would advertise about once a month the pies he was offering, i would order and then he would deliver .....

good luck whaterver you deicde