Scooter or balance bike?

It is my 2yo's birthday in a couple of weeks and I'm planning on getting him either a scooter or a balance bike. Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be best? He has a little scuttlebug which he likes going down hills very fast on, so I suspect whatever I get him will be terrifying but I guess that just comes with the territory. All words of wisdom gratefully received.

What's it primarily for? My opinion would be a scooter if you want him to go places on it and then you can ditch the buggy. They are easier to carry around and also not so hard for other pedestrians on the sidewalk with you to avoid. And a balance bike if you want it for fun in the park, and short local journeys. It's much harder to take on the bus etc. than a scooter.

Ultimately, you'll probably end up with both...

Hmm, I guess mostly just for pootling about the park. He has a baby brother so we can't ditch the buggy completely and he's not really big on obeying instructions at the moment so I think scooter on the roads would be really stressful. Maybe a balance bike at first then. Thank you.

My two both got the hang of scooters much more quickly than balance bikes - they were both off on scooters before they were two, balance biking still not there for my now three year old. Scooters much easier to carry/pull them along on too. I would only go out with the balance bike when my husband was around when my eldest was younger - I have a horrific memory of baby in sling, pram, balance bike and a toddler all screaming and trying to get home from the park!

Learning to scoot seems to be quicker than riding the BB. I bought a BB last June for a second birthday and it's only really coming out regularly now. Having said that I'm happy that she can't go that fast on it yet, so she has stayed close to me and the buggy. I get the feeling that is changing tho.?

I only let her out on the BB for short journeys unless both of us (parents) are there.

It is fun watching her learn tho, it does feel likeshe is learning a skill.

I think it might depend on what he/she takes to, too. My first child didn't go for a scooter really and just really took to a balance bike - we got a very light metal one so not too hassley for carrying. It hung on the buggy well. My second child has been on a scooter from about 18months - just took to it! He's two now and totally reliable on the scooter. My four-year old is only just getting the hang of the scooter really and has not got the same staying power on it. He was ace on the balance bike and would go for ages without tiring. Can you trial both and see if there's any incling either way?

Thank you so much everyone. Lots to think about. I think I'm leaning towards a scooter now for portability. His much worshipped older cousin has one so I suspect he'll be quite motivated to get to grips with it. Expect we'll end up with both eventually though. Thanks everyone. I can always rely on the family room for advice.

Have had the opposite experience to most of the posters. Our son (at age 2.5) took to his BB immediately but still can't scoot. We bought his from Bon Velo in Herne Hill and I gulped at the price (think it's was about ?110) but they assured me that it would be worth it. The main positive is that it is made from aluminium so will actually rest on the top of the umbrella pushchair when I'm taking him and his sister to the park. It is also much easier for him to steer. The average toddler doesn't have a great deal of upper body strength so find it hard to control heavy wooden or steel bikes.

I guess that the short answer is that it depends on how much you want to spend. You can get an excellent scooter for ?60 but have to pay almost double that for a similar BB. The advantage of the latter is that it's meant to leapfrog stabilisers as it's harder to learn how to balance than pedal.

Am sure your toddler will be thrilled by the Scuttlebug upgrade!

We bought a scooter for my son's 2nd birthday which he immediately took to, bought a balance bike for his 3rd birthday which he ignored in favour of his scooter and now have just bought a bike for his 5th birthday. As other posters have said, the scooter was great for portability and distance scootable. Was concerned would take a longer amount of time to master 'proper' biking without mastering the balance bike. As it turned out my son was up and peddling confidently on his bike an hour or two after receiving it on his birthday. We didn't use stabilizers at all.

Balance bikes are amazing and much better in terms of transition to proper cycling. Our 4 year old got off his balance bike a month ago and got onto a "big boys" bike without stabilisers. Promptly cycled all around P Rye park without falling off or even that looking likley. He has gone from the BB to proper cycling without any stress whatsoever. Get one!