Blood testing for kids.

gwod

Teen had a blood test a few weeks ago that showed up some anomalies so we have been told to get her tested again to see if there has been any change in these anomalies before an action is taken. There is no walk in service for bloods for kids, we have to make an apt at Kings and the next available is 4th April. This seems an outrageously long time to me, especially as she is feeling unwell (which is why we took her to the docs 3 weeks ago in the first place) Just cant get any sense out of the NHS about it..am I being bonkers?

Hi my daughter is 7 and recently had some bloods done we had the option of the gp or the hospital and we chose the gp

So maybe worth checking whether your gp offers them

They did say it was up to the phlebotomist whether he would allow them to be done at the surgery but as my daughter had no problem with having them done he was happy to carry it out

Echo Dodie to definitely go via PALS - a great friendly, patient focused helpline. I have used them in the past.

Kids blood tests are a pain. Dulwich Hosp does not do children and so for most GP practices it is the appt referral system as Kings, which is hugely over-subscribed.

Good luck.

Yes definitely try pals, is there any way of getting sent to St Thomas' instead if Kings is no good? My daughter had to have a blood test at the Evalina hospital a few years ago they were really lovely and far better at it than the A&E GP who had tried a few days earlier!

My daughter has had several blood tests between the ages of 3-5. We've never seemed to wait long with Kings, a week tops. Maybe if you call them up and explain how worried you are they might be able to offer you a cancellation at last minute. I would also try PALs if you are concerned about the long wait.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It appears no-one at our surgery will take blood (Burbage Road) but I am encouraged by the existence of PALS which Id never heard of before, something patient focussed at the hospital is a relief. Ill get on to them straight away.

Thank you forum.

x