anyone in Catford

Sa16

Hi all,

We're in East Dulwich at the moment but have had an offer accepted on a place in Catford. I just wondered if anyone on here lives there/ knows the area? If it all goes through we'll be the Forest Hill side. Feeling a little nervous as we don't know anyone there. Does anyone have any tips or know any mums and baby groups? I heard the library is quite good...what about parks/ playgrounds etc? Many thanks in advance!

I lived there pre-children and liked it a lot - good transport links and lots of friendly people. It used to have a bit of a bad rep (this was 10 years ago!) but I never had any trouble at all. I know a lot of people are moving there because you can get nice houses that aren't as pricey as ED and the schools are good.

Blythe Hill Fields is nice and the 202 bus goes from Blackheath to Crystal Palace for a day out. Definitely try Sapporo Japanese restaurant on Catford Broadway - it's ace! And Babur is amazing for a curry.

I'm in SE4, not far. There are lots of things to do locally. Catford, like Brockley and Ladwelly, is now beginning to get the overflow from Nunhead and ED, so there seem to be plenty of parents with young children, and lots to do! xx

Hi there. We moved to Catford from nunhead about a year ago. We have a 3year old and a 3month old. We are on the other side of Catford to where you are moving (corbett estate), so closer to hither green. There are plenty of groups and nice parks and playgrounds (mountsfield park, ladywell fields and manor park are a few). Schools are meant to be good too - our daughter will start at the nursery in September

Not many mummy cafes yet, but hoping that will follow soon!

Good luck with the move. X

I'm also not far away, in Hither Green. Ladywell fields is great. It is easy to get to the Horniman too. Check out the new Catford Constitutional Club pub (not baby related but nice!) and the market on the Broadway once a month. Often kids shows on at Catford Broadway theatre too.

Thank you all very much! Good to hear lots of positive things. I've yet to check out the parks but they sound promising. Nice that is feels like a family friendly area. Does anyone know the Blythe Hill tavern? Or the Phoenix cafe? It's a shame that the different bits are separated by very busy roads but I'm sure we'll get used to that. Very pleased to hear of good eateries...

I work there too, and second everything the others have said. Very friendly and Ladywell park is a delight. Friends who live there say there's a really strong community. Lots of families who have lived there for generations - something that a lot of ED families can no longer afford to contemplate :(

I'm in SE23, worth joining the SE23 mums, SE6 mums and possibly SE4 mums Facebook groups, loads of info and mums to befriend on there. Blythe Hill Fields is a gorgeous park, the playground is small but has a lovely sandpit and the view and sense of space is invigorating, I love it up there.

Not sure which bit of Catford you are in but further down in SE23/26 towards Sydenham is Mayow Park which is really changing in a good way at the moment - talk of a cafe soon and a lovely Monday Forest School group run by Hugh who is great (10am behind the wooden play area). Towards HOP there are the small scale swings/mini park opposite Dalmain school which is handy for a local change of scene. Ladywell Fields are also wonderful, loads to explore and the paddling is excellent especially in the bit of the year where it gets hot but the councils don't deign to turn on any of the sprinklers (Sydenham Wells Park is fab when they do). Lots and lots of playgroups in FH/HOP in general, at locations like St Saviours, Ackroyd Centre, Methodist Church, Kilmorie Children's Centre. I visited Catford library once but only very briefly but think they had a fair few parent/child activities on too.

The Phoenix cafe is cool, was a bit of an OAPs haunt but they are really trying to make it more family friendly. I haven't been since they made recent refurb changes but even before that they had a toy area etc. It was a great resource to me when our kitchen was being refitted (I live in SE23, Catford side of Forest Hill station). I love the streets between FH and Catford, they are lovely. I hate the South Circular and it does cause me stress with scooting 3yo but you do get used to it and I walk/bus everywhere. I also seek out nice, non-main road routes and have chosen my doctor's surgery/ideal primary school accordingly (well it was one factor!).

There are some great schools on that note, Kilmorie and Rathfern are doing really well and Holbeach has been doing well too I believe, I went to a playgroup there today which was lovely, ?3 per family and very chilled/nicely stocked/non-manic. Catford itself does still feel a little down at heel but I would agree with Ratty that is getting better everyday and there are loads and loads of families moving into the area for lovely housing stock and proximity to other places. I think it is a great place to buy in and will hopefully keep improving. I think you may find you ping about a bit to neighbouring areas to begin with, especially if you like to keep busy, but I expect more and more will spring up in Catford proper.

We just moved to Hither Green (Catford side) from West Dulwich. We've only been here 2 weeks but I'm sure there will be no looking back. We traded in our 3 Bedroom flat for a large 4 bed house so we could not be happier. There is the Hither Green Mummies and Daddies Facebook page, which attracts members from Greenwich to Catford, it's a really active group and I had a huge response when asking for advice on what to do locally with a toddler. The parks aren't as beautiful as Dulwich, but the playground equipment is better! There seems to be an abundance of young families moving to the area. So far my experience has been exciting & positive. Good luck with your purchase and I hope you grow to love the area just like so many others do.

Thank you all so much. This is all really helpful stuff - just what we needed. It sounds like there is plenty going on! Can't wait to get to some of these parks and explore and start to meet people. X

A meet-up sounds good! We are currently in the waiting and wondering-if-it's-all-going-to -go-wrong stage of house buying but if it all goes well I'd love to meet up. :) will keep you posted. X

Sounds like you're a little ahead of us progress-wise Ramble. Fingers crossed! The Phoenix cafe is roughly near Rathfern primary, just on the South circular opposite a montessori nursery...will look it up again when I have a moment. V down to earth place it seemed with a small kids/baby corner!

looking forward to frequenting Blythe hill tavern and CCC. Hope we can organise a meet up at some point!

x

Sarah - yes I'll be working from home.

The CCC is great. Good beer, food and staff. Quite dark so not great on sunny days but an amazing building.

Saw the Pheomix cafe yesterday. It's on the corner of Northwood road and stanstead road. Looks nice.

Also found out yesterday that the Van dough pizza van do takeaway pizza on Thursday nights from the St George's church car park on Vancouver Road. :-))

http://www.vandough.co.uk